1996 French Grand Prix
|1996 French Grand Prix|
|Race 9 of 16 in the 1996 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||30 June 1996|
|Official name||LXXXII French Grand Prix|
|Location||Circuit de Nevers, Magny-Cours, France|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.250 km (2.641 mi)|
|Distance||72 laps, 306.000 km (190.140 mi)|
|Time||1:18.610 on lap 48|
The 1996 French Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held on 30 June 1996 at Circuit de Nevers, Magny-Cours, France. It was the ninth race of the 1996 Formula One season. Michael Schumacher qualified in pole position but his engine blew on the warm-up lap and he did not start the race. The 72-lap race was won by Damon Hill for the Williams team, from a second position start. Jacques Villeneuve finished second in the other Williams, with Jean Alesi third for the Benetton team.
- Jacques Villeneuve crashed heavily at Estoril corner in qualifying, when the front end of his Williams went wide and smashed the left side of his car in the barriers. The car was repaired in time for race day.
- Eddie Irvine had qualified 10th, but was stripped of his qualifying times and put to the back of the grid after one of the air deflectors on his Ferrari was found to be too tall.
- Pole-sitter Michael Schumacher retired on the formation lap when his engine failed.
- Herbert was disqualified from 11th because of bodywork irregularities.
- As of March 2019[update], this was the last time no former World Champion started in an F1 race.
- This was the first race in which the cars fitted with Renault engines occupied the first four places.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Forti - Grands Prix started 1996 • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "France 1996 - Qualifications • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "France 1996 - Starting grid • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "1996 French Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Grand Prix Results: French GP, 1996". Grandprix.com. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "France 1996 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
1996 Canadian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1996 British Grand Prix
1995 French Grand Prix
|French Grand Prix||Next race:|
1997 French Grand Prix