1996 NCAA Division II football season
|1996 NCAA Division II football season|
|Regular season||September 7 – November 16, 1996|
|Postseason||November 23 – December 14, 1996|
|National Championship||Braly Municipal Stadium
|Harlon Hill Trophy||Jarrett Anderson, Truman|
|Division II football season
The 1996 NCAA Division II football season, part of college football in the United States organized by the National Collegiate Athletic Association at the Division II level, began on September 7, 1996, and concluded with the NCAA Division II Football Championship on December 14, 1996 at Braly Municipal Stadium in Florence, Alabama, hosted by the University of North Alabama. The Northern Colorado Bears defeated the Carson–Newman, 23–14, to win their first Division II national title.
Conference and program changes
|School||1995 Conference||1996 Conference|
|Norfolk State||CIAA (D-II)||I-AA Independent|
|Portland State||D-II Independent||Big Sky (I-AA)|
|Saint Joseph's (IN)||MIFC||D-II Independent|
- After East Texas State University joined the Texas A&M University System in 1996 and changed its name to Texas A&M University–Commerce, the East Texas State Lions became the Texas A&M–Commerce Lions.
- After Northeast Missouri State University changed its name to Truman State University in 1996, the Northeast Missouri State Bulldogs became the Truman Bulldogs.
Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association – Virginia State
|1996 NCAA Division II National
Football Championship playoffs
|Finals Site||Braly Municipal Stadium
|Champions||Northern Colorado (1st title)|
|Runner-Up||Carson–Newman (1st championship game)|
The 1996 NCAA Division II Football Championship playoffs were the 23rd single-elimination tournament to determine the national champion of men's NCAA Division II college football. The championship game was held at Braly Municipal Stadium in Florence, Alabama for the tenth time.
Braly Municipal Stadium
|Northwest Missouri State||26|
|Northwest Missouri State||22|
|Albany State (GA)||28|
- "1995-1999 Northern Colorado Schedules". College Football Warehouse. cfbdatawarehouse.com. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "1996 NCAA Division II National Football Championship Bracket" (PDF). NCAA. NCAA.org. p. 14. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "Texas A&M University-Commerce History & Traditions". Texas A&M-Commerce. tamuc.edu. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "History of Truman State University". Truman State. truman.edu. Retrieved January 7, 2014.