1996 San Francisco Giants season
|1996 San Francisco Giants|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Bob Quinn|
(Ted Robinson, Mike Krukow, Lon Simmons)
(Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper, Lon Simmons)
(Ted Robinson, Hank Greenwald, Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper)
(Julio Gonzalez,Rene De La Rosa, Amaury Pi-Gonzalez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1996 San Francisco Giants season was the Giants' 114th season in Major League Baseball, their 39th season in San Francisco since their move from New York following the 1957 season, and their 37th at 3Com Park at Candlestick Point. The team finished in fourth place in the National League West with a 68-94 record, 23 games behind the San Diego Padres.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- October 6, 1995: Mike Benjamin was traded by the Giants to the Philadelphia Phillies for Jeff Juden and Tommy Eason (minors).
- October 26, 1995: John Roper was claimed off waivers from the Giants by the Cincinnati Reds.
- December 1, 1995: Rikkert Faneyte was sent to the Texas Rangers by the San Francisco Giants as part of a conditional deal.
- March 26, 1996: Scott Service was released by the Giants.
Opening day starters
|San Diego Padres||91||71||0.562||—||45–36||46–35|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||90||72||0.556||1||47–34||43–38|
|San Francisco Giants||68||94||0.420||23||38–44||30–50|
Record vs. opponents
1996 National League Records
Sources:              
|1996 Game Log: 68–94 (Home: 38–44; Away: 30–50)|
April: 14–12 (Home: 6–6; Away: 8–6)
May: 12–14 (Home: 5–7; Away: 7–7)
June: 10–17 (Home: 7–9; Away: 3–8)
July: 10–17 (Home: 8–6; Away: 2–11)
August: 12–15 (Home: 6–7; Away: 6–8)
September: 10–19 (Home: 6–9; Away: 4–10)
|Legend: = Win = Loss|
Bold = Giants team member
- April 5, 1996: Steve Decker was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- July 11, 1996: Jeff Juden was selected off waivers from the Giants by the Montreal Expos.
- July 27, 1996: Kirt Manwaring was traded by the Giants to the Houston Astros for Rick Wilkins and cash.
- July 30, 1996: Mark Leiter was traded by the Giants to the Montreal Expos for Kirk Rueter and Tim Scott.
- August 21, 1996: Steve Decker was purchased from the Giants by the Colorado Rockies.
- August 21, 1996: Trenidad Hubbard was selected off waivers by the San Francisco Giants from the Colorado Rockies.
Lou Seal is the official mascot of the San Francisco Giants. "Born" on July 25, 1996, Luigi Francisco Seal has been a regular part of the Giants baseball home games and events around San Francisco, and the United States. The name is a play on the name "Lucille." Todd Schwenk, an Oakland Athletics Fan, named the mascot in a KNBR Sports Radio phone-in contest. Schwenk named Lou for the Seals always hanging out on the wharfs at Fisherman's Wharf. It also refers to the San Francisco Seals, the baseball club which was a mainstay of the Pacific Coast League from 1903 until 1957.
|1996 San Francisco Giants|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Awards and honors
- Jeff Juden at Baseball-Reference
- John Roper at Baseball-Reference
- Scott Service at Baseball-Reference
- Steve Decker at Baseball-Reference
- Kirt Manwaring at Baseball-Reference
- Kirk Rueter at Baseball-Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007
- 1996 San Francisco Giants team at Baseball-Reference
- 1996 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Almanac