1997 Canadian Grand Prix
|1997 Canadian Grand Prix|
|Race 7 of 17 in the 1997 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||15 June 1997|
|Official name||Grand Prix Players du Canada|
|Location||Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Course||Temporary street circuit|
|Course length||4.421 km (2.747 mi)|
|Distance||54 laps, 238.734 km (148.342 mi)|
|Scheduled distance||69 laps, 305.049 km (189.549 mi)|
|Weather||Clear and mild with temperatures approaching 22.7 °C (72.9 °F); wind speeds up to 4.1 kilometres per hour (2.5 mph)|
|Time||1:19.635 on lap 37|
The race was marred by a big crash involving Olivier Panis, who broke his legs and would be unable to start the next seven Grands Prix. The race ended under red flag conditions on lap 54 due to this crash.
Michael Schumacher won ahead of Jean Alesi in the Benetton and Giancarlo Fisichella in the Jordan. David Coulthard had been leading, but was delayed for over a lap by a clutch problem during his second pit stop, shortly before Panis's crash. On lap 2, local hero Jacques Villeneuve crashed into the wall on the exit of the final corner. This wall would later be known as the 'Wall of Champions', after three former World Champions, including Villeneuve, crashed into it separately in the 1999 race.
It also marked the debut of Alexander Wurz, driving for Benetton in place of his compatriot Gerhard Berger. Berger had been suffering from a sinus illness for some time and during his time off his father was killed in a light aircraft accident.
- Lap leaders: Michael Schumacher 34 (1–27, 40–43, 52–54), David Coulthard 20 (28–39, 44–51)
- First Podium For: Giancarlo Fisichella.
- First Point For: Shinji Nakano.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Weather information for the "1997 Canadian Grand Prix"". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- "McLaren's 50 Greatest Drivers". Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. Archived from the original on 15 January 2012. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
- F1, STATS. "Canada 1997 - Qualifications • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "1997 Canadian Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "GRAND PRIX RESULTS: CANADIAN GP, 1997". www.grandprix.com. Archived from the original on 2007-07-09. Retrieved 8 October 2007.
1997 Spanish Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1997 French Grand Prix
1996 Canadian Grand Prix
|Canadian Grand Prix||Next race:|
1998 Canadian Grand Prix