1997 Italian Grand Prix
|Race 13 of 17 in the 1997 Formula One season|
|Date||7 September 1997|
|Location||Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.770 km (3.585 mi)|
|Distance||53 laps, 305.810 km (190.022 mi)|
|Weather||Dry with temperatures reaching up to 29 °C (84 °F)|
|Time||1:24.808 on lap 49|
The 1997 Italian Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza on 7 September 1997. It was the thirteenth round of the 1997 Formula One season. The 53-lap race was won by David Coulthard driving for McLaren after starting from sixth position on the grid. Jean Alesi finished second for Benetton after starting from pole position, while Heinz-Harald Frentzen finished third for Williams.
Alesi led the race until the halfway stage; however, Coulthard, who had jumped from sixth on the grid into third place coming out of the first corner, got ahead of the Frenchman courtesy of a faster pit-stop, and held on to win the race by less than two seconds, gaining some measure of revenge for an incident in the French Grand Prix earlier that season, in which Alesi recklessly pushed Coulthard off the track on the final lap to rob the Scot of his fifth place. The top five finishers and Mika Häkkinen ran in two separate processional orders throughout - Häkkinen dropped out of the points when he flat spotted his front tyres after his pitstop; before his pitstop he ran out of fuel just metres from the entrance of the pits, thus costing him a chance to come out in the lead because he was the last car among the top teams to come in after being out the longest.
- Lap leaders: Jean Alesi 31 (1-31), Mika Häkkinen 2 (32-33), Michael Schumacher 1 (34), David Coulthard 19 (35-53)
- Last pole position: Jean Alesi
- David Coulthard dedicated this race to Princess Diana.
Championship standings after the race
- Bold text indicates who still has a theoretical chance of becoming World Champion.
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Italian Grand Prix Weather Information". Weather Underground. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- "Italy 1997 - Qualifications". StatsF1. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "1997 Italian Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Italian Grand Prix Review". atlasf1.autosport.com. 1997-09-10. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1997 Italian Grand Prix.|
1997 Belgian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1997 Austrian Grand Prix
1996 Italian Grand Prix
|Italian Grand Prix||Next race:
1998 Italian Grand Prix