1997 Tickford 500
The fastest lap in qualifying was set by Mark Skaife at 1:11.3142.
Top 10 Shootout
The Top 10 Shootout, which was contested by the fastest ten cars from Qualifying, determined the order of the first ten grid positions for the race.
The race was started in the rain under the control of the safety car. The weather conditions resulted in a slower than expected average speed and the race did not run to its full 161 lap distance, being halted on lap 157 after 3 hours 45 minutes and 22.3508 seconds.
- Pole Position: Mark Skaife 
- Fastest race lap: Mark Skaife – 1:17.4932 on lap 101 
- Race time of winning car: 3h 45:22.3508 
- History Repeats, Australian Auto Action, 19-25 September 1997, page 46
- Official Program, Tickford 500, Sandown, Australian Auto Action, 12 - 18 September 1997, page 4
- V8 Bathurst 1997, page 27
- Entry List in the Official Program shows Trimbole and Mezera in a VS Commodore. Results in Australian Auto Action show VP Commodore. An image of the car at the 1997 Tickford 500 on page 26 of the book "V8 Bathurst 1997" shows that it was not a VP Commodore
1996 Tickford 500
1998 Tickford 500