1997 Tournament of the Americas
|FIBA Americas Cup 1997|
|8th FIBA American Basketball Championship|
|Teams||10 (from 42 federations)|
|Venues||1 (in 1 host city)|
|Champions||United States (3rd title)|
The 1997 Tournament of the Americas, known now as the FIBA Americas Championship, was a basketball championship hosted by Uruguay from 21 to 31 August 31 1997. The games were played in Montevideo. This FIBA Americas Championship was to earn the four berths allocated to the Americas for the 1998 FIBA World Championship in Athens, Greece. The United States won the tournament, the country's third Americas championship.
Eight teams qualified during the qualification tournaments held in their respective zones in 1997; two teams (USA and Canada) qualified automatically since they are the only members of the North America zone.
- North America: Canada, United States
- Caribbean and Central America: Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela
The draw split the tournament into two groups:
- The top four teams from each group advance to the quarterfinals.
- Results and standings among teams within the same group are carried over.
- The top four teams at the quarterfinals were granted berths in the 1998 FIBA World Championship. Since the United States were already qualified as Olympic Champions, should they reach one of the top four places in the quarterfinals, the fifth team on the final standings was given the remaining berth.
- The top four teams then played an extra match to define the first six places in the final standings (1 vs. 2 for first place, 3 vs. 4 for third place and 5 vs. 6 for fifth place).
|Qualified for the quarterfinals|
|United States||4||3||1||368||334||+34||7||1–1 (0.524)|
|Qualified for the semifinals|
The top four teams in both Group A and Group B advanced to the quarterfinal group. Then each team played the four from the other group once to complete a full round robin. Records from the preliminary groups carried over. The top two teams advanced to the first place game and the third and fourth-place teams advanced to the third place game. The fifth-place team (Cuba) and the sixth-place team (Canada) did not continue competing for the Americas Championship, but played a further game against each other, with the winner qualifying for the 1998 FIBA World Championship.
Fifth place game
Third place game
First place game
|1997 Tournament of the Americas Winners|
|Qualified for the 1998 FIBA World Championship|
|Qualified for the 1998 FIBA World Championship (Olympic Champions)|