1997 in Pakistan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1997
List of years in Pakistan
- President: Farooq Leghari (until 2 December), Wasim Sajjad (acting) (starting 2 December)
- Prime Minister: Malik Meraj Khalid (until 17 February), Nawaz Sharif (starting 17 February)
- 3 February - General elections are held.
- 13 November - Nawaz Sharif promises US president Bill Clinton he will find those responsible for the killing of four US businessmen and their Pakistani driver.
- 26 November - Pakistan's first motorway linking Islamabad to Lahore is opened.
- 2 December - Pakistan's president, Farooq Leghari, resigns. Wasim Sajjad becomes interim president for the second time.
- 2 March - Babar Iqbal, information technology prodigy
- 20 May - Shazia Masih, torture victim (died 2010)
- 12 July - Malala Yousafzai, school pupil and education activist.
|This article about Pakistani history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|