1997 in South Africa
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 4 – The Constitution of South Africa comes into effect.
- 19 – Denel and Aérospatiale sign a co-operation agreement.
- 28 – President Nelson Mandela and Prime Minister of India H. D. Deve Gowda sign the Red Fort Declaration on a Strategic Partnership during Mandela’s state visit to India.
- 23 – Eugène Terre'Blanche, Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging leader, is convicted of attempted murder and assault in the Magistrates Court in Potchefstroom.
- 26 – Winnie Madikizela-Mandela is re-elected as president of the African National Congress’s Women's League by 656 votes to 114.
- Dirk Coetzee, David Tshikalange and Butana Almond Nofomela, former members of the Vlakplaas counter-insurgency unit, are granted amnesty by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in respect of the murder of Durban attorney Griffiths Mxenge in November 1981.
- 10 – A combined version of Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika and Die Stem van Suid-Afrika becomes the National Anthem.
- 30 – The South African National Defence Force announces that it had completed destroying its stock pile of anti-personnel mines.
- South Africa and India sign the terms of reference of the India-South Africa Commercial Alliance and agreements in tourism, geology and mineral resources. The science and technology co-operation program is ratified.
- Unknown Date
- Cabinet and parliamentary approval is announced by Thabo Mbeki of the Defence Review which enables the South African National Defence Force to undertake tenders for R12bn worth of arms equipment.
- 3 October – Jo-Ane van Dyk, javelin thrower.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2013)
- 23 February – Thabiso Moqhali from Lesotho wins the South African title in the men's marathon, clocking 2:15:31 in Pinelands.
- Archontology.org: A Guide for Study of Historical Offices: South Africa: Heads of State: 1994-2017 (Accessed on 5 June 2017)
- The Arms Deal in your pocket. Paul Holden. (2008).