1997 in Turkey
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||List of years in Turkey|
Events in the year 1997 in Turkey.
Ruling party and the main opposition
- Ruling party
- Main opposition
- 8 January – Democrat Turkey Party was founded by Hüsamettin Cindoruk.
- 11 January – Prime minister Necmettin Erbakan invited religious order leaders to his Office . This invitation caused political unrest
- 24 January – Sabotage to Kirkuk–Ceyhan Oil Pipeline
- 2 February – Beginning of a civil disobedience action 1 minute darkness for a continuous light by turning off the lights every night for 1 minute
- 28 February – In a meeting of National Security Council the military members of the council asked for a secular administration (This event later on was ironically called post modern coup) 
- 23 April – On children’s day, Tansu Çiller, the vice prime minister, announced that the compulsory education was raised from 5 years to 8 years
- 15 May – Turkey enters northern Iraq with the stated aim of "supporting KDP actions against the PKK."
- 16 May – Yaşar Kemal won Peace Prize of the German Book Trade
- 22 May – Four male and six female Turkish weightlifters won the gold medal in 1997 European Weightlifting Championships
- 25 May – Galatasaray won the championship of the Turkish football league
- 21 June – Upon Necmettin Erbakan’s resignation, the president appointed Mesut Yılmaz to form the new government.
- 25 October – Bus accident in Konya Province 49 deaths
- 14 December – At the Luxembourg summit, the European Union decided to continue negotiations with Turkey
- 4 April – Alparslan Türkeş (born in 1917), politician
- 4 May – Esin Engin (born in 1945), musician
- 20 June – Cahit Külebi (born in 1917), poet
- 26 August – Füreya Koral (born in 1910), ceramist
- 26 December – Cahit Arf (born in 1910), mathematician
- Türkiye'nin 70 yılı, Tempo, İstanbul, 1998, pp 498–505
- Sina Akşin: Kısa Türkiye Tarihi, Türkiye İş Bankası yayınları, İstanbul, 2011, ISBN 978-9944-88-172-2 p.301
- Graham Brown, Sarah (1999). Sanctioning Saddam: The Politics of Intervention in Iraq. I.B. Tauris. p. 249. ISBN 9781860644733. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Mackolik page