1997 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1997 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1997.
- President: Fidel Ramos (Lakas)
- Vice President: Joseph Estrada (NPC)
- Senate President: Ernesto Maceda
- House Speaker: Jose de Venecia, Jr.
- Chief Justice: Andres Narvasa
- Philippine Congress: 10th Congress of the Philippines
- January 17 – Former Zamboanga del Norte Representative Romeo Jalosjos who was accused of raping an 11-year-old girl in 1996, is arrested in Bagac, Bataan.
- July 2 – Asian financial crisis affected numerous Southeast Asian countries including the Philippines, as well as South Korea.
- July 16 – Sisters Marijoy and Jacqueline Chiong were abducted and killed in Cebu City, the suspects were later executed which in turn would lead to the abolition of death penalty in 2006.
- August 19 – Agila-2 communications satellite was launched from China and began commercial service. It is the first satellite of the country not acquired while in orbit.
- October 11–19 – The Philippines participated at the 1997 Southeast Asian Games.
- November 22–23 – The Philippines as hosting the 1997 Asian Judo Championships held in Manila.
- December 14 – The Alaska Milkmen won against Purefoods Carne Norte Beefies, 4 games to 1, to retain the 1997 PBA Governors Cup title.
- January 20 – Kim Last, actor and That's My Bae contestant
- February 15 – Kit Thompson, actor
- February 17 – Kenzo Gutierrez, movie and TV actor, TV commercial, print and ramp model, student and football player
- March 10 – Julia Barretto, actress
- May 1 – Miles Ocampo, actress
- May 6 – Maymay Entrata, model, singer, composer, dancer and actress
- June 17
- Jameson Blake, actor and member of Hashtags
- Wilbert Ross, member of Hashtags
- July 31 – Barbie Forteza, actress and dancer
- September 16 – Julian Trono, actor
- September 19 – Kobe Paras, basketball player
- September 22 – Maris Racal, actress, singer and dancer
- October 4 – Michelle Vito, actress
- October 7 – Joshua Garcia, actor
- October 12 – Jimboy Martin, actor and member of Hashtags
- October 20 – Manolo Pedrosa, actor and student
- October 27 – Paulo Angeles, actor and member of Hashtags
- November 4 – Bea Binene, actress and dancer
- December 4 – Ruru Madrid, actor
- December 17 – Jazz Ocampo, actress
- December 18 – Mikee Quintos, actress and singer
- February 7 – Jose Garcia Villa, Filipino poet, writer and painter, National Artist of the Philippines (b. 1908)
- February 14 – Miguel Rodriguez, actor and model (b. 1961)
- April 6 – Max Alvarado, actor (b. 1929)
- April 21 – Diosdado Macapagal, former President of the Philippines (b. 1910)
- June 27 – Cesar Alzona, former author (b. 1926)
- July 3 – Chiquito, actor and comedian (b. 1932)
- July 7 – Rolando Tinio, filipino poet, dramatist, actor, essayist, and educator (b. 1937)
- August 21 – Evelyn Joy Militante, radio-TV newscaster (b. 1972)
- October 7 – Felicisimo Ampon, tennis player (b. 1920)
- October 11 – Dencio Padilla, actor and comedian (b. 1929)
- December 31 – Gerard Fainsan, singer, actor and member Universal Motion Dancers (b. 1974)