1997 in video gaming
1997 has seen many sequels and prequels in video games and several new titles such as GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Mortal Kombat 4, Diddy Kong Racing, Grand Theft Auto, Blast Corps and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
- June 19–21 — The 3rd annual E3 is held in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.
- October 4 — Gunpei Yokoi (1941–1997) dies after a double car accident.
- November – Interactive Entertainment Merchants Association (IEMA) launched.
- TSR, Inc., the owner of the Dungeons & Dragons tabletop role-playing game, was acquired by Wizards of the Coast.
- 3D Realms begins production of the infamous Duke Nukem Forever, winner of numerous vaporware awards.
- A scene from the Pokémon anime show (based upon the highly successful games) from December 16, 1997, causes 685 Japanese children to have seizures, causing Nintendo to make a statement proclaiming the safety of the Pokémon games from fear that the games would cause a similar effect, the episode to be permanently removed from circulation, and the featured Pokémon in the episode (Porygon) hasn't made an appearance in the Pokémon anime since.
|Release||Title||Windows / DOS||4th Gen||5th Gen||Handheld||Arcade|
|January 31||Final Fantasy VII||1998||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|February 10||Mario Kart 64||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|February 28||Blast Corps||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|February 28||Independence Day||Yes||N/A||PS1, Sat||N/A|
|February 28||Turok: Dinosaur Hunter||November 30||N/A||N64||N/A|
|March 20||Castlevania: Symphony of the Night||N/A||N/A||PS1, Sat (June 25)||N/A|
|March 20||Tekken 3||N/A||N/A||PS1 (1998)||N/A||Arcade|
|March 20||Mega Man 8||N/A||N/A||PS1, Sat (March 25)||N/A|
|March 26||Vandal Hearts||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|March 30||The Last Express||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|March 31||Need for Speed II||Yes||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|April 27||Dungeon Keeper||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|April 30||Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|May 13||Shadow Warrior||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|May 31||MDK||Yes||N/A||PS1 (1998)||N/A|
|June 20||Final Fantasy Tactics (Japan)||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|July 1||Star Fox 64||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|July 4||Jane's 688(I) Hunter/Killer||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|July 30||Carmageddon||Yes||N/A||PS1 (1999); N64 (2000)||N/A|
|July 31||Warlords III: Reign of Heroes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|August 1||Mega Man X4||1999||N/A||Sat; PS1||N/A|
|August 25||GoldenEye 007||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|August 31||Hexen II||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|September 11||Breath of Fire III||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|September 19||Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee||Yes||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|September 24||Ultima Online||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|September 29||Croc: Legend of the Gobbos||N/A||N/A||PS1, Sat||N/A|
|September 30||Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|September 30||Panzer General II||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|September 30||Poy Poy||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|September 30||Total Annihilation||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October||Grand Theft Auto||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 9||Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 15||Age of Empires||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 15||Mortal Kombat 4||1998||N/A||N64, PS1 (1998)||N/A||Arcade|
|October 29||Riven||Yes||N/A||PS1 (November 30); Sat||N/A|
|October 31||Blade Runner||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 31||Colony Wars||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|October 31||The Curse of Monkey Island||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 31||PaRappa the Rapper||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|October 31||Zork: Grand Inquisitor||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|November 1||Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|November 1||Shock Troopers||N/A||Neo||N/A||N/A|
|November 18||Tomb Raider II||Yes||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|November 24||Diddy Kong Racing||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|November 25||Myth: The Fallen Lords||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|November 30||Bomberman 64||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|November 30||Wing Commander: Prophecy||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|November 30||WCW vs. nWo: World Tour||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|December 6||Quake II||Yes||N/A||PS1, N64 (1999)||N/A|
|December 18||Grandia||N/A||N/A||Sat, PS1 (1999)||N/A|
|December 18||Mega Man Legends||2001||N/A||PS1, N64 (2000)||N/A|
|December 21||Yoshi's Story||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
|December 23||Gran Turismo||N/A||N/A||PS1||N/A|
|December 31||Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero||N/A||N/A||N64||N/A|
- March 1 — The Nintendo 64 is released in Europe and Australia
- October 20 — Nintendo releases a smaller redesigned version of the SNES, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Model SNS-101) in North America.
- Sony releases PlayStation development software for PC
- Tiger Electronics releases the Game.com
- Activision acquires CentreSoft Ltd. and Raven Software
- Electronic Arts Inc. acquires Maxis
- GameTek filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed its doors in July 1998
- 2015, Inc. founded
- 4D Rulers Software, Inc. founded
- September — 4HEAD Studios created
- Bungie West formed by Bungie
- Conspiracy Entertainment Corporation founded
- Crave Entertainment, Inc. formed
- August — Human Head Studios, Inc. formed
- Illusion Softworks, a.s. founded
- April 15 — Irem Software Engineering Inc. founded
- Irrational Games LLC founded
- Mythic Entertainment renames itself from Interworld Productions after name dispute with another "Interworld" company
- THQ renamed from Toy Headquarters, Inc.
- Warthog PLC founded
- Nintendo vs Games City; Nintendo sues Games City for selling the Game Doctor and Doctor V64 backup devices for the SNES and N64 consoles. Nintendo wins the suit.
- Nintendo vs Prima Publishing; Nintendo sues Prima over copyrights to maps of the N64 video game GoldenEye 007. Nintendo loses the suit
- Nintendo vs Sony Video Games; Nintendo sues Sony over copyrights about Mario games
- Sega announce that the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) has been discontinued.
- Sega Game Gear discontinued.
- "Attendance and Stats". IGN. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
Search ~ Creative Market