1998 Australian Touring Car Championship
|1998 Australian Touring Car Championship|
The 1998 Australian Touring Car Championship was an Australian motor racing competition open to 5.0 Litre Touring Cars, (also known as V8 Supercars). The championship, which was sanctioned by the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport as an Australian title, was contested over a ten round series which began on 1 February 1998 at Sandown International Motor Raceway and ended on 2 August at Oran Park International Raceway. The series was promoted as the "Shell Australian Touring Car Championship". The title, which was the 39th Australian Touring Car Championship, was won by Craig Lowndes.
Teams and drivers
The following teams and drivers competed in the championship.
The championship was contested over a ten round series with three races per round.
Championship points were awarded in each race as follows:
Race three at the Calder round was abandoned before the start due to water lying on the track after a late afternoon storm.
Privateers' Team Cup
The Privateers' Team Cup was open top Level 2 teams competing with control tyres. Points were awarded on the same basis as for the actual Championship however competitors were required to nominate eight rounds at which they would compete and only their best six results from those rounds would be retained towards the Cup award. Two-driver teams were permitted to pool their points into a combined score.
- Specific Conditions, 1998 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, page 7-10
- Racing - Table of Contents, 1998 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, page 7-1
- 1998 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, pages 7-9 & 7-10
- The Rounds, V8 Supercars, Shell Australian Touring Car Championship, '98 Series Review, pages 18 to 79
- Records, Titles and Awards, 2002 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, page 14-7
- Official Programme, Mallala, 24th May 1998
- Jason Parker, Lansvale take control, V8 Supercars, Shell Australian Touring Car Championship, '98 Series Review, pages 80-84
- ATCC Points System, Official Programme, Mallala, 24 May 1998, page 98
- V8 Supercars, Shell Australian Touring Car Championship, '98 Series Review, page 65
- The cup runneth over, Official Programme, Mallala, 24 May 1998, page 98