1998 San Francisco Giants season
|1998 San Francisco Giants|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Brian Sabean|
(Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper, Lon Simmons, Ted Robinson, Jon Miller)
Fox Sports Bay Area
(Jon Miller, Duane Kuiper)
(Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper, Lon Simmons, Ted Robinson, Jon Miller )
(Erwin Higueros,Rene De La Rosa, Amaury Pi-Gonzalez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1998 San Francisco Giants season was the Giants' 116th season in Major League Baseball, their 41st season in San Francisco since their move from New York following the 1957 season, and their 39th at 3Com Park at Candlestick Point. The team finished in second place in the National League West with an 89-74 record, 9½ games behind the San Diego Padres.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Award winners
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- November 11, 1997: Chris Singleton and Alberto Castillo were traded by the Giants to the New York Yankees for Charlie Hayes and cash.
- November 21, 1997: Brent Mayne was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- December 6, 1997: Danny Darwin was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- January 21, 1998: Alex Diaz was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- January 29, 1998: Jalal Leach was traded by the Seattle Mariners with Scott Smith (minors) to the San Francisco Giants for David McCarty.
Opening Day starters
- Rich Aurilia
- Barry Bonds
- Shawn Estes
- Darryl Hamilton
- Stan Javier
- John Johnstone
- Jeff Kent
- Bill Mueller
- J. T. Snow 
|San Diego Padres||98||64||0.605||—||54–27||44–37|
|San Francisco Giants||89||74||0.546||9½||49–32||40–42|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||83||79||0.512||15||48–33||35–46|
Record vs. opponents
1998 National League Records
- April 6, 1998: Jalal Leach was released by the San Francisco Giants.
- May 11, 1998: Jalal Leach was signed as a Free Agent with the San Francisco Giants.
- June 2, 1998: Cody Ransom was drafted by the Giants in the 9th round of the 1998 Major League Baseball draft. Player signed June 4, 1998.
- July 23, 1998: Joe Carter was traded by the Baltimore Orioles to the San Francisco Giants for Darin Blood (minors).
- September 14, 1998: Alex Diaz was released by the Giants.
|1998 San Francisco Giants|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: San Jose, Salem-Keizer
- Charlie Hayes at Baseball Reference
- Brent Mayne at Baseball Reference
- Danny Darwin at Baseball Reference
- Alex Diaz at Baseball Reference
- Cody Ransom at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007