1998 in archaeology
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1998 in archaeology involved some significant events.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- August: Excavation begins at the Belitung shipwreck, an Arab dhow wrecked off Belitung island in Indonesia about 830 AD discovered earlier in the year; it will yield the biggest single collection of Tang dynasty treasures found in one location.
- October: Excavation begins at "Seahenge" ('Holme I'), a prehistoric timber circle off Holme-next-the-Sea in England discovered earlier in the year.
- Igeum-dong, a settlement-burial-ceremonial site of the Mumun Pottery Period in Sacheon, Korea (excavations finish in 1999).
- Excavations at Urkesh by the Deutsche Orient-Gesellschaft.
- Whydah Gally, wrecked off Cape Cod, Massachusetts, in 1717, the first authenticated pirate shipwreck ever discovered.
- Arthur stone found at Tintagel Castle.
- World's oldest wet-rice (rice paddy) agricultural feature, c. 800 BC, at Okhyeon site, Ulsan, Korea.
- Flemming Kaul - Ships on Bronzes: a study in Bronze Age religion and iconography.
- Ian M. Stead - The Salisbury Hoard.
- Patricia Wattenmaker - Household and State in Upper Mesopotamia: specialized economy and the social uses of goods in an early complex society.
- Exhibition is held at the Harvard University Semitic Museum, Cambridge, Massachusetts: "The Sphinx and the Pyramids: One Hundred Years of American Archaeology at Giza". A model of the Giza plateau is prepared for it.
- April 18: Linda Schele, American Mayanist (b. 1942)
- May 11 - Vronwy Hankey, British Near Eastern archaeologist (b. 1916)
- November 24: John Chadwick, English co-decipherer of Linear B (b. 1920)
- "Belitung Wreck Details & Photos". Marine Exploration. Archived from the original on 2008-10-01. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Maritime Underwater Surveys, Inc., 403 Mass. 501 (Mass. Supreme Court 1988).
- "BBC News - UK - Clue to King Arthur discovered". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Obituary: Linda Schele". The Independent. 22 May 1998. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Obituary: Vronwy Hankey". independent.co.uk. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Obituary: John Chadwick". The Independent. 4 December 1998. Retrieved 30 May 2017.