1999 San Marino Grand Prix
|Race 3 of 16 in the 1999 Formula One season|
Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari
(last modified in 1997)
|Date||2 May 1999|
|Official name||XIX Gran Premio Warsteiner di San Marino|
|Location||Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, Imola, Emilia-Romagna, Italy|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.930 km (3.064 mi)|
|Distance||62 laps, 305.660 km (189.937 mi)|
|Weather||Sunny, mild, dry, 23 °C|
|Time||1:28.362 on lap 45|
The 1999 San Marino Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held on 2 May 1999 at the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, Imola, Italy. It was the third race of the 1999 Formula One season. The 62-lap race was won by Ferrrari driver Michael Schumacher after he started from third position. David Coulthard finished second for the McLaren team with Stewart driver Rubens Barrichello third.
Mika Häkkinen took an instant lead from Michael Schumacher after the start. Eddie Irvine was ahead of Rubens Barrichello, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Ralf Schumacher, Damon Hill and Jean Alesi. Jacques Villeneuve was left stranded on the grid after a clutch problem. In an unforced error, Häkkinen crashed out at the final Traguardo chicane on lap 17, allowing Michael Schumacher into the lead and his first win of the season. Häkkinen would later repeat this error at the Italian Grand Prix, during which he spun off whilst leading comfortably.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
This was Luca Badoer's 35th start without scoring any World Championship points, overtaking Brett Lunger's record. Nicola Larini had previously made 40 starts without scoring but finished 2nd at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix, his 41st start.
- Lupini, Michele (May 2, 1999). "Grand Prix of San Marino Review". Autosport.
- "San Marino GP, 1999 Race Report". grandprix.com. May 2, 1999.
- "1999 San Marino GP: Qualification". ChicaneF1.com. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- "1999 San Marino Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 9 January 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "1999 San Marino GP: Classification". ChicaneF1.com. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- Henry, Alan (ed.) (1999). AUTOCOURSE 1999-2000. Hazleton Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-874557-34-9.
- "1999 San Marino GP: Overview". ChicaneF1.com. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
1999 Brazilian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1999 Monaco Grand Prix
1998 San Marino Grand Prix
|San Marino Grand Prix||Next race:
2000 San Marino Grand Prix