1999 Shell Championship Series
|1999 V8 Supercar|
The 1999 Shell Championship Series was a motor racing series for V8 Supercars which began on 28 March 1999 at Eastern Creek Raceway and ended on 14 November at the Mount Panorama Circuit after 13 rounds. Australia’s national title series for V8 Supercar drivers, the Australian Touring Car Championship, was renamed for 1999 in what was essentially a marketing decision, however the winner of the newly named series was also awarded the 1999 Australian Touring Car Championship title by CAMS. 1999 was the first season since 1977 in which the longer distance, endurance race events were included in the championship.
Teams and drivers
The following drivers and teams competed in the 1999 V8 Supercar Championship Series. The series consisted of 11 rounds of sprint racing and two rounds (the Queensland 500 and the Bathurst 1000) of endurance racing with each car shared by two drivers.
* = Drove in Queensland 500 only
** = Drove in Bathurst 1000 only
Results and Standings
The 1999 Shell Championship Series consisted of 13 rounds which included eleven sprint rounds of two or three races and two endurance races (Queensland 500 and FAI 1000). It was the first time since 1977 that endurance races had been included in the championship.
- All rounds except Rounds 2, 12 & 13 were contested over three races.
- Points were awarded on a 50–46–44–42–40–38–36–34–32–30–28–26–24–22–20–18–16–14–12–10–8–6–4–2–1 basis to the first 25 finishers in each race.
- Round 2 was contested over two races.
- Points were awarded on a 150–138–132–126–120–114–108–102–96–90–84–78–72–66–60–54–48–42–36–30–24–18–12–6–3 basis to the first 25 finishers in each race.
- Rounds 12 & 13 were each contested over a single race with two drivers per car.
- Points were awarded on a 300–276–264–252–240–228–216–204–192–180–168–156–144–132–120–108–96–84–72–60–48–36–24–12–6 basis to the first 25 finishers in each race with both drivers scoring the full points for the position filled by their car.
- Official V8 Supercar site
- 1999 Racing Results Archive
- Images from the 1999 Shell Championship Series Retrieved from www.autopics.com.au on 3 December 2008
- Images from the Bathurst round of the 1999 Shell Championship Series Retrieved from www.flickr.com on 3 December 2008