1999 in China
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1999 in the People's Republic of China)
|See also:||Other events of 1999
List of years in China
Timeline of Chinese history
1999 in the Republic of China
1999 in Macau
- Party General Secretary – Jiang Zemin
- President – Jiang Zemin
- Premier – Zhu Rongji
- Congress Chairman – Li Peng
- Conference Chairman – Li Ruihuan
- January 4 - A pedestrian bridge in Qijiang, Chongqing collapsed and caused 40 people dead and 14 injured.
- February 24 - China Southwest Airlines Flight 4509 crashed on approach to Wenzhou Airport, killing 61 people.
- April 15 - Korean Air Cargo Flight 6316 crashed in Xinzhuang, Shanghai after takeoff from Hongqiao Airport due to pilot's confusion between two units of measurement (feet and metres).
- May 8 - U.S. bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade led to a series of anti-American protests in China.
- October 1 - 50th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic Parade and Speech by paramount leader Jiang Zemin.
- November 19 - Shenzhou 1 spacecraft launched.
- December 5 - Shenyang Haishi won Chongqing Longxin by 2-1 in Chinese Jia-A League 1999, later turned out to be a match-fixing controversy.
- December 20 - China assumed formal sovereignty over Macau from Portugal.