19 August 2018 Lombok earthquake
Shakemap for the 19 August 2018 Lombok earthquake
|UTC time||2018-08-19 14:56:28|
|Local date||19 August 2018|
|Fault||Flores Back Arc Thrust Belt|
|Max. intensity||VII (very strong)|
|Casualties||14 dead, 24 injured|
On 19 August 2018 a major earthquake struck with high intensity on the northeast corner of Lombok (Sambelia and Labuhan Lombok settlements) and northwest Sumbawa (Poto Tano settlement) at 22:56 local time, a few km to the east of the series of quakes that had been rocking the area for the past 3 weeks. It was measured at Mw 6.9 (USGS), at a depth of 25.6 km. The Indonesian BMKG announced that it was a new major earthquake and it was not an aftershock. The earthquake occurred on the same overall structure, the Flores Back Arc Thrust Belt, however according to scientists it happened on a different thrust fault as there are many individual structures within the belt. There were 14 deaths and 1800 homes have been damaged, half severely, due to this event, including deaths on Sumbawa, following 2 deaths from the previous Lombok quake roughly 24 hours prior. Heavy tiles fell from the local mosque, and 143 patients were being treated outdoors in makeshift tents for injuries on Sumbawa.
- "M 6.9 – 2km S of Belanting, Indonesia". USGS. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "BMKG: Gempa 7,0 SR di Lombok Aktivitas Baru, Beda dengan Sebelumnya". Detik news (in Indonesian). Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Quake swarm jolts Indonesian islands, killing at least 13". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Santoso, Audrey. "Gempa Lombok, 143 Pasien Dirawat di Lapangan Kantor Pemda Sumbawa". Detik news (in Indonesian). Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- The International Seismological Centre has a bibliography and/or authoritative data for this event.
- ReliefWeb's main page for this event. – This link covers all the July and August Lombok earthquakes.
|This article about an earthquake is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|