19 You + Me
|"19 You + Me"|
|Single by Dan + Shay|
|from the album Where It All Began|
|Released||October 14, 2013|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville|
|Dan + Shay singles chronology|
"19 You + Me" is the debut single by American country music duo Dan + Shay. It was released in October 2013 as the first single from their debut album for Warner Bros. Nashville. The album, Where It All Began, was released on April 1, 2014. The song was written by Dan + Shay and Danny Orton. It received 59 adds in its first week at country radio, becoming the most added debut single of 2013.
"19 You + Me" peaked at numbers 7 and 11 on both the Billboard Hot Country Songs and Country Airplay charts respectively. It also reached outside the top 40 of the Hot 100 at number 42. The song was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), and has sold 720,000 units in the United States as of October 2014. It received similar chart success in Canada, reaching number 23 on the Country chart and number 47 on the Canadian Hot 100.
The accompanying music video for the song, directed by Brian Lazzaro, took place in Myrtle Beach and Ocean Boulevard.
The song received a positive review from Taste of Country which praised the "warm details" and "emotion." It said that "young artists aren’t often able to tell stories as effectively as those with a little more age, but Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney can count on vivid lyrics to help them through." It went on to say that "the instrumentation is country with pop leanings" and "they add some missing sensitivity to the current landscape."
The music video was directed by Brian Lazzaro and shot in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, in which they mention Myrtle Beach in the song. Some of the locations they shot at were the Fun Plaza arcade on Ocean Blvd and the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk.
"19 You + Me" debuted at number 55 on the US Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of October 26, 2013. It also debuted at number 49 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of November 9, 2013. The song debuted at number 96 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of January 18, 2014. As of October 2014 the song has sold 720,000 copies in the United States. On December 17, 2015, the song was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for sales of over a million digital copies in the United States.
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||720,000|
sales+streaming figures based on certification alone
- "Dan + Shay offer debut single". Country Standard Time. October 15, 2013. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "Future Releases for Country Radio Stations". All Access. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- Wyland, Sarah (October 16, 2013). "Dan + Shay Release Debut Single to Country Radio". Great American Country. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "Dan + Shay, '19 You + Me' [Listen]". Taste of Country. October 16, 2013. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "Bubbling Under: 'Glee' Star Naya Rivera Graduates To First Solo Hit". Billboard. October 18, 2013. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Sterling Whitaker (October 19, 2014). "Dan + Shay Strike Gold With '19 You + Me'". Taste of Country. Townsquare Media. Retrieved October 24, 2014.
- "Canadian single certifications – Dan + Shay – 19 You + Me". Music Canada. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "Dan + Shay Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Dan + Shay Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Dan + Shay Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Dan + Shay Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Dan + Shay Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2014: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Dan + Shay – 19". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 18, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.