19th Street Oakland station
Train on the upper level platform in 2018
|Location||1900 Broadway, Oakland, California|
|Owned by||Bay Area Rapid Transit|
|Platforms||1 side platform, 1 island platform|
|Connections||AC Transit: Broadway Shuttle, NL, 6, 12, 18, 33, 51A, 72, 72M, 72R, 611, 800, 802, 805, 851|
Racks, parking station|
8 lockers managed by City of Oakland
|Opened||September 11, 1972|
|Passengers (FY 2016)||13,112 exits/day|
19th Street Oakland is an underground Bay Area Rapid Transit station located under Broadway between 17th Street and 20th Street in Downtown Oakland. It is a timed transfer point between northbound trains to Richmond and to Pittsburg/Bay Point. (The timed transfer was at 12th Street Oakland City Center station until September 13, 2010).
The concourse mezzanine is on the first level downstairs, an island platform and two main tracks for trains bound for Richmond and Pittsburg/Bay Point are on the second level down, and a side platform with one track for trains bound for Warm Springs/South Fremont, Millbrae, and San Francisco International Airport are on the third level downstairs. This station is identifiable by the blue brickwork on the interior. At all times during the day, there are timed cross-platform transfers between the northbound lines, Antioch–SFO/Millbrae and Warm Springs/South Fremont-Richmond.
|Mezzanine||One-way faregates, ticket machines, station agent|
|Northbound||→ Antioch–SFO/Millbrae toward Pittsburg / Bay Point (MacArthur) →|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left, right|
|Northbound||→ Richmond–Daly City/Millbrae toward Richmond (MacArthur) →|
→ Richmond–Warm Springs/South Fremont toward Richmond (MacArthur) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Southbound||← Antioch–SFO/Millbrae toward SFO weekdays, Millbrae weekends (12th Street Oakland City Center) |
← Richmond–Daly City/Millbrae toward Millbrae weekdays, Daly City Saturdays (12th Street Oakland City Center)
← Richmond–Warm Springs/South Fremont toward Warm Springs (12th Street Oakland City Center)
The station has six public entrances: two at 20th Street, two at 19th Street, and two at 17th Street (one in an alley connecting to Telegraph Avenue). The is also a direct passageway from the station to a Wachovia Bank building. The Telegraph Avenue entrance was closed from October 14, 2013 to September 30, 2014 for renovations by the City of Oakland.
In 2013, BART began design of a prototype glass canopy for the station entrance on the northeast corner of 20th Street and Broadway. The canopy would protect the escalator from weather damage, improve lighting, and allow the escalator to be fully closed off when the station is not open. The BART board voted to construct the canopy in January 2014; it was completed in March 2015 and includes real-time train arrival information screens at street level. The canopy reduced escalator downtime by two-thirds, prompting the installation of similar canopies at downtown San Francisco stations beginning in 2017.
Uptown Transit Center
The surface streets around 19th Street Oakland station are a major transfer point for AC Transit buses. The Uptown Transit Center, located on 20th Street west of Broadway, consists of six large shelters built in September 2006 to improve the ease of transfers. A number of routes stop on 20th Street shelters and/or on Broadway at the station:
- Broadway Shuttle: Day and Night
- Transbay: NL
- Rapid: 72R
- Local: 6, 12, 18, 33, 51A, 72, 72M
- All-Nighter: 800, 802, 805, 851
- School: 611
The Uptown Transit Center will be the northern terminus of the under-construction East Bay Bus Rapid Transit line.
Oakland's Greyhound intercity bus station is located four blocks west at San Pablo Avenue and 20th Street.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit District. "Monthly Ridership Reports". Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Minor BART schedule changes on Monday, September 13" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. August 25, 2010.
- "Station Map - 19th St. Oakland Station". San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. Archived from the original on November 8, 2014.
- "CITY OF OAKLAND TO IMPROVE 17TH STREET GATEWAY ENTRANCE AT 19TH STREET STATION" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. July 1, 2014.
- "BART designing prototype escalator canopy to protect customers, employees and machinery" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. June 27, 2013.
- "BART to Build New Station Entrance Canopy at 19th Street Station" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. January 9, 2014.
- "BART unveils new glass canopy entrance" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. March 6, 2015.
- "SF BART and Muni Escalator/Entrance Project". San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. 2017.
- "Approved Projects: Uptown Transit Center". Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District.
- "Uptown Transit Center Project" (PDF). NTK Construction.
- "Transit Stops" (PDF). Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District. March 19, 2017.
- "Schedules & Fares" (PDF). Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District. December 13, 2017.
- "EAST BAY BRT: Revolutionizing Public Transit" (PDF). Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District. May 31, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 19th Street Oakland station.|