1N400x general-purpose diodes
The 1N4001 series (or 1N4000 series) is a family of popular 1 A (ampere) general-purpose silicon rectifier diodes commonly used in AC adapters for common household appliances. Blocking voltage varies from 50 to 1000 volts. This diode series is available in DO-41 axial package, SMA and MELF surface mount packages.
The 1N5400 series is a similarly popular series for higher-current 3 A applications. These diodes are typically available in the larger DO-201AD axial package to dissipate heat better.
The series was second sourced by many manufacturers. The 1N4000 series were in the Motorola Semiconductor Data Manual in 1965, as replacements for 1N2609 through 1N2617. The 1N5400 series were announced in Electrical Design News in 1968, along with the now lesser known 1.5 A 1N5391 series.
The table below shows the maximum repetitive reverse blocking voltages of each of the members of the 1N4000 and 1N5400 series.
- Though some writers and datasheets refer to "1N4000 series", a 1N4000 is a 10-watt Zener diode unrelated to the 1N4001 series of 1 ampere rectifiers.
- 1N4001–1N4007 Datasheet; DO-41 Package; Kingtonics.
- M1-M7 Datasheet; SMA Package; Kingtonics.
- SM4001-SM4007 Datasheet; MELF Package; Kingtonics.
- 1N5400–1N5408 Datasheet; DO-201AD (DO-27) Package; Kingtonics.
- Wireless World, 88: 75, 1982
- Gordon McComb (2001). The robot builder's bonanza (2nd ed.). McGraw-Hill Professional. p. 41. ISBN 978-0-07-136296-2.
Common diodes are the 1N914, for light-duty signal-switching applications, and the 1N4000 series (1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4003, and 1N4004).
- Home power, Issues 21–32. Electron Connection, Ltd. 1991. p. 173.
A good generic diode for 1 Amp or less is the 1N4000 series devices.
- Timothy J. Maloney (1992). Electricity: fundamental concepts and applications. Delmar Publishers. p. 404. ISBN 978-0-8273-4675-8.
A Type No. 1N4004 diode, a popular diode for rectifying ac to dc.
- Semiconductor Data Manual; Motorola; May 1965.; archive.org
- Electrical Design News, Volume 13, 1968
- 1N4001–1N4007 Datasheet; DO-41 Package; Fairchild.
- 1N5400–1N5408 Datasheet; DO-201AD Package; Fairchild.
- Robert Diffenderfer (2005). Electronic devices: systems and applications. Thomson Delmar Learning. p. 54. ISBN 978-1-4018-3514-9.
- 1N5401 Certificate of Compliance (PDF), 8 Apr 2011
- 1N5408 Certificate of Compliance (PDF), 8 Apr 2011
- 1N4001 Certificate of Compliance (PDF), 8 Apr 2011
- 1N4007 Certificate of Compliance (PDF), 8 Apr 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
- Forward Bias Characteristics of 1N400x Family Diodes - Clifton Laboratories
- Datasheets / Databooks
|This electronics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|