|Initial release||June 18, 2006|
|Platform||Android, Chrome OS, iOS, Linux, macOS, Windows, and web browsers Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Brave|
|As of||August 2021|
1Password is a password manager developed by AgileBits Inc. It provides a place for users to store various passwords, software licenses, and other sensitive information in a virtual vault that is locked with a PBKDF2-guarded master password. By default, the user’s encrypted vault is hosted on AgileBits’ servers for a monthly fee. The company is based in Toronto.
Password file syncing
1Password can be configured through 1Password.com, a paid subscription-based server sync service maintained by the developers. Local Wi-Fi and iCloud sync were only available on iOS and macOS in previous versions.
In 2017, the Travel Mode feature was introduced for subscribers of 1Password.com, which enables omission of password entries not tagged as safe for travel from the local storage on a particular device, reducing the impact of being obliged by officials to unlock access at country border crossings.
1Password integrates with desktop web browsers including Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera. The extension can remember logins for websites, fill in website logins automatically, and generate random passwords for new websites.
To use browser extensions, the user must have administrative rights on the computer where the browser is installed. This has been an issue with users on a PC assigned by a workplace without admin rights. To address this issue, 1Password offers plans for a monthly subscription fee aimed at businesses that allows web access to their usernames and passwords which can be copied and pasted into login screens. Plans for family and individual use are also available.
1Password also offers a standalone extension called 1Password X, available for Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. 1Password X is designed to work without a companion desktop app, but a 1Password.com subscription is required.
On the mobile side, 1Password offers integration with browsers and apps on iOS and Android devices using various methods. More convenient methods of filling and saving login information are provided in iOS 12 and Android Oreo (and later), respectively.
In a 2017 Consumer Reports article, Dan Guido, the CEO of Trail of Bits, listed 1Password as a popular password manager (alongside Dashlane, KeePass, and LastPass), with the choice among them mostly up to personal preferences.
Before 1Password 7, and the move to a purely subscription-based service in 2018, 1Password could be set up to only store password files locally, and not sync with remote servers, after purchasing a software license ($64.99 in 2018). As of December 2019, Mac users can still buy a perpetual licence of 1Password 7 from within the app. Apple's browser Safari v13 makes the installation of the 1Password extension v6 impossible, thus forcing users to upgrade to 1Password v7.
On November 14, 2019, 1Password announced a partnership with venture capital firm Accel, which invested $200 million in a Series A funding round and obtained a minority stake in the company. It was the first outside funding in 1Password's history, and the largest single investment Accel had made to date.
- "1Password 1.0.0 Release". Archived from the original on 2015-02-15. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- "1Password for Windows Release Notes". app-updates.agilebits.com.
- "1Password for Mac Release Notes". app-updates.agilebits.com.
- "1Password for Linux, 8.1". 1Password Releases.
- "1Password for Android Release Notes". app-updates.agilebits.com.
- "1Password for iOS Release Notes". app-updates.agilebits.com.
- "1Password.com Release Notes". app-updates.agilebits.com.
- "1Password Browser Extension Release Notes". app-updates.agilebits.com.
- "1Password CLI Release Notes". app-updates.agilebits.com.
- "1Password for Windows Early Access". 1Password Releases.
- "1Password for Mac Early Access". 1Password Releases.
- "1Password for Linux, 8.1.2 Beta". 1Password Releases.
- "1Password for iOS Release Notes". 1Password Releases.
- "1Password X brings me closer to using a Chromebook full-time". Android Central. 2017-11-23. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Get started with 1Password in your browser". 1Password Support. 2021-05-17. Archived from the original on 2021-08-13. Retrieved 2021-08-13.
- "Pricing & free trial". Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "1Password Restores Free-to-Use Local Vault Option in Latest Version of iOS App". Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- Haslam, Oliver (28 August 2018). "Are password managers safe?". 1Password Blog. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- Goldberg, Jeffrey (16 March 2013). "1Password hashcat strong master passwords". 1Password Blog. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- Chaikivsky, Andrew (2017-02-07). "Everything You Need to Know About Password Managers". Consumer Reports. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- "Stop Playing Catchup: Move From Reactive to ..." www.darkreading.com. Retrieved 2021-07-21.
- Fleishman, Glenn (2018-06-11). "1Password 7 for Mac review: Password manager with small improvements that add up". Macworld. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- Myers, Robert McGinley (8 August 2017). "The Best Password App and Manager (and why you need one)". The Sweet Setup. Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- Tedeschi, Bob (2010-11-03). "Apps to Manage Your Cluster of Passwords". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- Kastrenakes, Jacob (2017-05-23). "1Password adds a 'travel mode' to keep your passwords safe at the border". The Verge. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- Rubenking, Neil J. (14 June 2018). "AgileBits 1Password - Review 2018". PCMag UK. Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- "Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC". 1Password. Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- "The most secure password manager for teams". 1Password. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Password manager to keep your family safe". 1Password. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- Wagenseil, Paul (2019-02-15). "Best Password Managers 2019". Tom's Guide. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- Teare, Dave (13 November 2017). "1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser". 1Password Blog. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- Cao, Peter (2018-08-21). "Hands-on with 1Password and iOS 12's Password AutoFill feature". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- El Khoury, Rita (2017-03-25). "AgileBits shows us how Android O's autofill API works with a 1Password demo". Android Police. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- Riley, Sean (2018-11-16). "1Password Review: For the Apple Faithful". Tom's Guide. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- Riley, Sean (2018-11-16). "1Password Review: For the Apple Faithful". Tom's Guide. Retrieved 2019-12-12.
- "Safari 13". TidBITS. Retrieved 12 December 2019.
- "1Password partners with Accel for continued growth | 1Password". 1Password Blog. 2019-11-14. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "Fourteen years after launching, 1Password takes a $200M Series A". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "1Password acquires Dutch startup to hone secret-keeping". Fortune. Retrieved 2021-07-21.
- Silcoff, Sean (27 July 2021). "Shopify, Slack executives join $100-million financing of Toronto's 1Password as valuation hits $2-billion". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2021-07-27.