1 Peter 2
|1 Peter 2|
A leaf containing the Epistles of Peter on Papyrus 72 (3rd/4th century)
|Book||First Epistle of Peter|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||21|
1 Peter 2 is the second chapter of the First Epistle of Peter in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. The author identifies himself as "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ" and the epistle is traditionally attributed to Peter the Apostle.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some of the oldest manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- Papyrus 72 (3rd/4th century)
- Papyrus 125 (3rd/4th century; extant: verses 1-5, 7-12)
- Papyrus 81 (4th century; extant: verses 20-25)
- Codex Vaticanus (AD 325-350)
- Codex Sinaiticus (AD 330-360)
- Codex Alexandrinus (ca. AD 400-440)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (ca. AD 450; complete)
- Papyrus 74 (7th century; extant: verses 6-7,11-12,18,24)
- This chapter is divided into 25 verses.
- as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
NU-Text adds "up to salvation".
- Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture,
- “Behold, I lay in Zion
- A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
- And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.”
- “Behold, I lay in Zion
- Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient,
- “The stone which the builders rejected
- Has become the chief cornerstone,”
Citing Psalm 118:22
- “A stone of stumbling
- And a rock of offense.”
- They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.
Citing Isaiah 8:14
- But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
Citing: Isaiah 62:12
- 1 Peter 2:6: Isaiah 28:16
- 1 Peter 2:7: Psalm 118:22
- 1 Peter 2:8: Isaiah 8:14
- 1 Peter 2:22: Isaiah 53:9
- Books of the Bible
- Jesus Christ
- Other related Bible parts: Psalm 118, Isaiah 8, Isaiah 28, Isaiah 53, Isaiah 62, Matthew 8, Romans 3, Romans 9
- Davids, Peter H (1982). I Howard Marshall and W Ward Gasque, ed. New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Epistle of James (Repr. ed.). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans. ISBN 0802823882.
- Evans, Craig A (2005). Craig A Evans, ed. Bible Knowledge Background Commentary: John, Hebrews-Revelation. Colorado Springs, Colo.: Victor. ISBN 0781442281.
- 1 Peter 2:2
- New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson.
- 1 Peter 2:6
- 1 Peter 2:7
- 1 Peter 2:8
- 1 Peter 2:9
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gill, John. Exposition of the Entire Bible (1746-1763).