1 a Minute
|1 a Minute|
Promotional film poster
|Directed by||Namrata Singh Gujral|
|Produced by||Nayomi Cooper|
|Written by||Namrata Singh Gujral|
Namrata Singh Gujral
|Narrated by||Kelly McGillis|
|Music by||Jay Ferguson|
|Edited by||Namrata Singh Gujral
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
The film is a hybrid between narrative structure and documentary style set to interweave throughout the film's plot. Based on the director's own experiences, the film follow the life of one woman and her struggle with breast cancer. The personal experiences of other celebrities who have themselves dealt with breast cancer, are interspersed throughout the film, as told by the celebrities themselves.
Narrated by Kelly McGillis, the film includes interviews with Deepak Chopra, oncologist Dennis Slamon, and Ambassador Nancy Brinker, and features the participation of numerous celebrities who have themselves dealt either directly or indirectly with breast cancer. These include Olivia Newton-John, Namrata Singh Gujral, Jaclyn Smith, Melissa Etheridge, Bárbara Mori, Lisa Ray, Diahann Carroll, William Baldwin, Daniel Baldwin, Mumtaz, Jasmine Singh Cooper, and Priya Dutt.
The film deals a heavy focus on breast cancer, and features female celebrities from around the world who are cancer survivors. Scheduled to kick off [[Breast Cancer Awareness Month]], the film released on October 6, 2010 in 532 theaters in the USA, where these theaters simulcast a live panel discussion featuring director Gujral, Melissa Etheridge, and Olivia Newton-John among others, immediately preceding the world premiere showing of the film. The film released in Indian theaters on 29 October 2010. This is reported to be the largest release to date for a cancer docudrama.
According to the Indo-Asian News Service, "[t]he documentary is an unprecedented push by global celebrity women, who are also cancer survivors, to help raise funds to find the cures, promote awareness and prevention as well as support survivors of women's cancers", with donations from the film set to support international Non-Profits & NGOs such as: Susan G. Komen for the Cure and Nargis Dutt Memorial Cancer Foundation.
- "Survivor celebs to join breast cancer film premiere". Sify. IANS. September 1, 2010. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Singh, Prashant (March 28, 2010). "Barbara and Lisa's battle with cancer". India Today. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Cancer docu-drama "1 a minute" to release in India on Oct 29". NetIndian. August 5, 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Truitt, Brian (August 27, 2010). "Exclusive first look at the breast cancer docudrama '1 a Minute'". USA Weekend. Archived from the original on 2012-03-03. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Barbara Mori-Lisa Ray spread awareness on breast cancer". Times of India. August 4, 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Eye TV India Bureau. "Barbara in Cancer Docu". SmasHits. Archived from the original on 31 August 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "1 a Minute". Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Olivia featured in new film "1 a Minute"". olivianewton-john.com. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- High, Kamau (April 15, 2010). "Melissa And Tammy Etheridge Split After Nine Years". MTV News. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Mcg (October 9, 2009). "Indian Star Rallies Celebrity Support For Cancer Movie". Contact Music. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Jha, Lalit K (2009-10-07). "Indian-American actress diagnosed with breast cancer". Hindustan Times. HT Media. Press Trust of India. Retrieved 27 October 2009.