Pakistan Media Awards
|Pakistan Media Awards|
|4th Pakistan Media Awards|
An Pakistan Media Award statuette
|Awarded for||Excellence in Radio, TV, film and theatre achievements|
The Pakistan Media Awards, commonly known as The PMA, are a set of awards given annually for excellence in radio, TV, film and theatre achievements. The award is a statuette representing a knight having star on chest and officially named as a Pakistan Media Award of Merit and is one of cinematic awards of Pakistan. The awards are given each year at a formal ceremony. The awards gained a huge attention in 2011 and initiated as awards "of merit for distinctive achievement" in the industry.
The awards were first given in 2010 at a ceremony created for awards, at Karachi Carlton Hotel. Over a year the ceremony garnered great attention due to the wide range of categories they presents for awarding, currently PMAS are given in more than a dozen categories, and includes film, TV programs, radio and theatre plays of various types. PMA is one of the most prominent ceremony of Pakistan, Pakistan Media Awards televised recorded in more than seven countries. PMA is first of its kind of awards that focuses on media achievements including all the occupations comes under media, In television category awards are awarded in talk shows, News channel, reality programs, dramas, sitcoms, daily soaps and in fashion industry, while awards also acknowledged the efforts of artist in films, radio and specially PMA endeavor to revive theatre industry through this platform.
The 3rd Pakistan Media Awards were held on 30 November 2012 at Expo Centre in Karachi, Sindh. Previously the 4th Pakistan Media Awards were scheduled on December 28, 2013 but due to overwhelming amounts of online votings and on persistent requests of voters, the ceremony was rescheduled for 11 January 2014 at Expo Center, Karachi.
- 1 History
- 2 PMA Statuette
- 3 Nomination
- 4 Ceremony
- 5 Award Ceremonies
- 6 Venue
- 7 Merit Categories
- 8 Special Categories
- 9 Associated Events
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The Pakistan Media Awards is a first-of-its-kind effort to promote media industry of Pakistan globally. The main objective of this award is to appreciate and acknowledge the efforts of Pakistani artists for their outstanding performances to promote Pakistani Drama across the globe through TV. Apart from this, it is our endeavour to revive our film and theatre industry through this platform.
First ceremony were held in April 7, 2010 at Karachi Carlton Hotel, awards were presented in four categories TV, Film, Radio and Theatre. Organizer and C.E.O of PMA Arshad Siddiqui said that the purpose behind the event was to re-live the Pakistani film industry. He said though he and other private sector were trying to play their level best the cold behavior of government was quite illogical.
The media industry in Pakistan has seen a tremendous growth over the last few years, the open media policy adopted by the present regime has resulted in the birth of numerous TV and Radio channels. The surge and flourishing in the media industry has seen some of the best performances in the last few years, in each and every genre of media entertainment, may it be drama, film, music, fashion or other entertainment shows. Pakistan Media Industry has turned into the largest competitive platform ever in the history of electronic medium. Pakistan Media Awards, will appraise and bestow the most excellent performances made during 2011 in different categories of entertainment programs.
The main objective of Pakistan Media Awards is to encourage and support the goodness and versatility of work, the media industry has shown during the last three years. The future of Pakistan media lies in good hands with the presence of the most talented and gifted artists of the young generation. The Pakistan Media Awards will also acknowledge the new and emerging talent of the industry and appreciate their work in different fields of media.
The 1st Pakistan Media Awards was held in 2010.2nd Pakistan Media Awards was held on May 7, 2011 at Carlton Hotel, Karachi. Awards hosts were Faisal Qureshi and Aijaz Aslam., The 3rd Pakistan Media Awards was held on November 30, 2012 in Karachi.
Structure of PMA Statuette
- Official Name: Pakistan Media Award® of Merit,
- Height: 12½ inches,
- Weight: 8 pounds,
- Color: Dull Shiny Golden,
- Represents: Pakistan Media Achievements
- Design: A knight having star on his chest, standing on a reel of film.
- Manufacturing time: 9 weeks for 85 Statuettes
- Number of Awards Presented: 90 (as of 1st ceremony)
Pakistan Media Award representing a knight having Star on chest standing on a film reel, it is designed and manufacture by, Triple-E PVT. Limited. PMA statuette has a resemblance with American film award named as Oscar or Academy Award, which also represents a knight holding a sword standing on film reel. The PMA statuette having stars represents the excellent achievements of winners and artist awarded that year.
Since 2010, every year voting generates into two types:
- Viewers Choice Awards
- Jury Choice Awards
in viewer's choices award some popular categories set to open for public voting and awarded that categories upon highest votes by public but the others is opposite and completely voted and viewed by Jury panel. as of 1st Pakistan Media Awards, multiple categories from Film, TV, Radio and theatre were set to open for public voting, for 2nd Pakistan Media Awards collective voting for all categories was 100,000 in history of Pakistan and rest of awards were completely judges and jury based.
The 3rd and upcoming 4th Pakistan Media Awards, rescheduled due to high demand of voting time for the categories open for public, more than of deadline date of votings, Triple-E receives thousands request for extending the date of voting.
According to Rules of PMA, in film category, a film must open in the previous calendar year from 1 January to December 31, in Pakistan to qualify, e.g.; if a movie released in 2010 and did not play its PMA-qualifying run in Pakistan will not be qualify for 2010 awards until its completes its screening to qualify for next ceremony. Film must be feature-length, defined as a minimum of 40 minutes, except for short subject awards, and it must exist either on a 35 mm film or 70 mm film print or in 24 frame/s or 48 frame/s progressive scan digital cinema format with native resolution not less than 1280x720.
For Television category, a Drama, soap, telefilm, teleserial, play or sitcom must be from previous year of the ceremony and must have its qualify run, for TV category it is not must that a Drama should have completed its running a drama, soap etc. can be nominated every year till it completes it finale season or final episode.
Radio and Theatre category are awarded according to the year-to-year achievements of the artist and personalities.
Pakistan Media Awards telecast recorded, mostly the ceremony held in late months of year, but as of current ceremony for the first time, ceremony was scheduled in last month of the year to honour the dramas and media achievements of 2012, but due to extension of public poll nominations date it is scheduled in early Jan of 2014. For 4th Pakistan Media Awards the ceremony will be honoured the cinematic year of 2012 and 2013 both.
Awards also hold a 45-minute pre-show or notoriously called red carpet, special host(s) interviewed VIPs or Celebrities who are nominated for that ceremony, this is also televised show, and telecast half an hour earlier from the show or one day prior to the show.
Pakistan Media Awards has pulled in a bigger haul when box-office hits are favoured to win the Best Picture trophy, Best Television Serial trophy and in others respected categories, ceremony gained a huge attention in 2nd Award Ceremony when Triple-E provide an exceptionally wide range of categories to be awarded.
For the first and second ceremony PMA were presented at Karachi Carlton Hotel in 2010 and 2011 respectively. For the third ceremony awards were held at Expo Centre Karachi, where most of the country events held, expo center is the also scheduled venue for the upcoming 4th Pakistan Media Awards.
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Film
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Director
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Film Actor
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Film Actress
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Actor Male
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Supporting Actor Male
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Actor Female
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Supporting Actor Female
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Serial
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Director Drama Serial
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Original Sound Track
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Writer
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Telefilm
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Sitcom
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Singer Male
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Singer Female
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Fashion Designer
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Fashion Photographer
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Makeup Artist
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Model Male
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Model Female
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Morning Show
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Current Affair Program
- Pakistan Media Award for Best News caster Male
- Pakistan Media Award for Best News Caster Female
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Drama Terrestrial
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Morning Show Terrestrial
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Theatre Play
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Radio Jockey Male
- Pakistan Media Award for Best Radio Jockey Female
The Special Pakistan Media Awards are voted on by special committees, rather than by the Triple-E membership as a whole. They are not always presented on a consistent annual basis. Following is the listing of Pakistan Media Awards Special categories since 2010.
- Life Time Achievement Award
- Special Recognition Award
- Nomination luncheon
- Invitation Event
- Making of Awards
- Awards Pre-Show
- Winners Bash party
- "PMA to be held in Karachi". admin work. events in Karachi. December 19, 2013. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- "The 4th Pakistan Media Awards December 2013 The Stargaze of Metiers Renowns". admin work. cybotainment. December 1, 2013. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "2nd PMA". Asad Farooq. Daily Times. May 9, 2011. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "The PMA 2010". Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Second Pakistan Media Awards held in vivid ceremony". dailytimes.com.pk. May 9, 2011. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "3rd Pakistan Media Awards". pakistantoday.com. October 12, 2012. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
|Look up Pakistan Media Awards in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pakistan Media Awards.|
- Official Website
- Other Resources