1st Special Operations Component Maintenance Squadron
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|1st Special Operations Component Maintenance Squadron|
Emblem of the 1st Special Operations Component Maintenance Squadron
|Branch||United States Air Force|
The 1st Special Operations Component Maintenance Squadron is an active United States Air Force unit. Its current assignment is with the 1st Special Operations Maintenance Group, based at Eglin Aux Air Field #9 (Hurlburt Field), Florida.
The 1st Special Operations Component Maintenance Squadron (SOCMS) is responsible for organizational and all intermediate level maintenance on 141 different avionic, electronic warfare, sensor, electrical, pneudraulic, fuel and engine maintenance systems, specifically AC-130 gunships, MC-130H Combat Talon IIs, MC-130P Combat Shadows and MH-53J/M PAVE LOW III/IV helicopters assigned to the 1st Special Operations Wing. Technical support is provided on Communication/navigation, guidance and control, sensor, electronic warfare, pneudraulics, electrics and fuel systems, engines and propellers. The squadron's unique repair capabilities cover the entire range—from vacuum tube, solid state and infrared components, to laser and fiber optic technology. In addition to maintenance for the wing's operational and transient aircraft, the squadron performs test and development work for ongoing acquisitions in support of Air Force Special Operations Command, U.S. Special Operations Command and the Department of Defense.
- Constituted 1st Depot Repair Squadron on 1 October 1933
- Activated on 1 January 1941
- Inactivated on 6 November 1945
- Disbanded on 15 June 1983
- Reconstituted, and redesignated, 1st Special Operations Component Repair Squadron on 21 September 1992
- Activated on 22 September 1992
- Inactivated on 1 October 1993
- Redesignated 1st Special Operations Component Maintenance Squadron on 15 November 2006
- Activated on 16 November 2006.
- 1st Air Depot Group, France Field, Canal Zone, 1 January 1941
- VI Air Force Service Command, 10 June 1944
- San Antonio Air Technical Service Command, 19 December 1944
- 23rd Air Depot Group, 26 March 1945
- San Antonio Air Technical Service Command, 23 May-6 November 1945
- 1st Special Operations Logistics Group, 22 September 1992 – 1 October 1993
- 1st Special Operations Maintenance Group, 16 November 2006–present
- France Field, Canal Zone, 1 January 1941
- Albrook Field, Canal Zone, by 6 May 1943 – 7 December 1944
- Kelly Field, Texas, 19 December 1944 – 10 August 1945
- Fort Lawton, Washington, 15 August-1 September 1945
- Kelly Field, Texas, 21 September-6 November 1945
- Eglin Aux Air Field #9(Hurlburt Field), Florida, 22 September 1992 – 1 October 1993
- Eglin Aux Air Field #9(Hurlburt Field), Florida, 16 November 2006–present
- Christmas 1941 Menu
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- 1st Special Operations Component Maintenance Squadron Fact Sheet