2000 Humanitarian Bowl
|2000 Humanitarian Bowl|
|Date||December 28, 2000|
|MVP||QB Bart Hendricks (Boise State)
RB Chris Porter (UTEP)
|Payout||US$750,000 per team|
|United States TV coverage|
In their final season in the Big West Conference, the Broncos went 5-0 in conference play, being the final champion of the Big West Conference. It was their 2nd conference title since joining Division I-A in 1996. As for the Miners, they had finished as co-champion of the Western Athletic Conference (which occurred after a loss to #15 TCU), their first conference title since 1956. This was UTEP's first bowl since 1988 and Boise State's 2nd straight Humanitarian Bowl.
Boise State scored first on a 28-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Bart Hendricks to Jay Swillie giving the Broncos a 7-0 lead. In the second quarter, Nick Calaycay kicked a 41-yard field goal to give the Broncos a 10-0 lead. UTEP got on the board following a 9-yard connection from Rocky Perez to Joey Knapp making it 10-7. A 28-yard field goal from Ricky Bishop tied the contest at 10. With only 23 seconds left in the half, Bart Hendricks rushed 12 yards for a touchdown, giving Boise State a 17-10 lead at intermission.
In the third quarter, Bart Hendricks scored on a 77-yard touchdown run, increasing Boise State's lead to 24-10. Ricky Bishop of UTEP made a 43-yard field goal to make it 24-13.
In the fourth quarter, Brock Forsey scored on a 43-yard touchdown run, making the lead 31-13. UTEP would attempt to come back on a 47-yard field goal from Ricky Bishop, and a 3-yard Chris Porter touchdown run to make it 31-23. Hendricks scored on an 11-yard pass from Banks to make the final score 38-23. The victory was the second consecutive Humanitarian Bowl victory for Boise State.
- 1st - Boise State - Swillie 28-yard pass from Hendricks (Calaycay kick)
- 2nd - Boise State - Calaycay 41-yard field goal
- 2nd - UTEP - Knapp 9-yard pass from R. Perez (Bishop kick)
- 2nd - UTEP - Bishop 28-yard field goal
- 2nd - Boise State - Hendricks 12-yard run (Calaycay kick)
- 3rd - Boise State - Hendricks 77-yard run (Calaycay kick)
- 3rd - UTEP - Bishop 43-yard field goal
- 4th - Boise State - Forsey 41-yard run (Calaycay kick)
- 4th - UTEP - Bishop 47-yard field goal
- 4th - UTEP - Porter 3-yard run (Bishop kick)
- 4th - Boise State - Hendricks 11-yard pass from Banks (Calaycay kick)
|Sacks By: Number-Yards||7-42||5-24|
|Time of Possession||32:55||27:05|
- "History: Bowl Summaries". 2007 UTEP Miners Football Media Guide (PDF). El Paso, Texas: University of Texas El Paso Department of Athletics. 2007. p. 155. Retrieved December 27, 2015.