2000 Wimbledon Championships
|2000 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date:||26 June - 9 July|
|Category:||Grand Slam (ITF)|
London, United Kingdom
|Todd Woodbridge / Mark Woodforde|
|Serena Williams / Venus Williams|
|Kimberly Po / Don Johnson|
The 2000 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament played on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London in England. It was the 114th edition of the Wimbledon Championships and were held from 26 June to 9 July 2000. It was the third Grand Slam tennis event of the year.
Pete Sampras won his fourth consecutive Wimbledon title, defeating Patrick Rafter in the final. It was also his last Wimbledon title. Lindsay Davenport was unsuccessful in her title defence, being defeated by Venus Williams in the women's final. It was the first of five Wimbledon titles for Venus Williams.
- It was Sampras's 2nd title of the year, and his 63rd overall. It was his 13th career Grand Slam title (a record), and his 7th (and last) Wimbledon title (a record, tied with William Renshaw, and subsequently Roger Federer).
- It was Williams's 1st title of the year, and her 10th overall. It was her 1st career Grand Slam title.
Total prize money for the event was £8,056,480.
- This marked Sampras' 7th (record) Wimbledon singles' crown.
- First time two sisters won the Wimbledon women's doubles title.
- John Barrett, ed. (2001). World of Tennis. London: Queen Anne Press. p. 107. ISBN 978-0-00-711129-9.
2000 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
2000 US Open (tennis)