2000 in Russia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 2000|
History of Russia • Timeline • Years
- President: Boris Yeltsin to May 7 Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Vladimir Putin to May 7 Mikhail Kasyanov
- February 4 - Second Chechen War: Bombing of Katyr-Yurt.
- February 5 - Second Chechen War: Novye Aldi massacre.
- February 6 - Second Chechen War: Battle of Grozny, Chechen capital Grozny falls to Russian troops.
- February 29–March 1 - Second Chechen War: Battle of Hill 776.
- March - Second Chechen War: Komsomolskoye massacre.
- March 1 - Second Chechen War: Grozny OMON fratricide incident.
- March 4–March 25 - Second Chechen War: Battle of Komsomolskoye.
- March 26 - Presidential elections: Vladimir Putin is elected President.
- March 29 - Second Chechen War: Zhani-Vedeno ambush.
- May 24 - The Russian Government threatens to bomb the Taliban in Afghanistan due to their support for Chechen rebels.
- August 12 - The Russian submarine K-141 Kursk sinks in the Barents Sea, resulting in the deaths of all 118 men on board.
- August 14 - Tsar Nicholas II and several members of his family are canonized by the synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- August 28 - Moscow's Ostankino Tower set ablaze by fire caused by a short circuit.
- September 15–October 1 - Russia competes at the Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia, winning 32 gold, 28 silver and 29 bronze medals.
- December 25 - Russia changes their national anthem back to the old Soviet Union anthem, with newer lyrics.
- January 26 - Angélique Abachkina, ice dancer
- February 9 - Serafima Sakhanovich, figure skater
- April 12 - Maria Sotskova, figure skater
- April 17 - Akim Abdokov, footballer
- July 16 - Nuri Abdokov, footballer
- January 6 - Alexey Vyzmanavin, Chess grandmaster (born 1960)
- February 20 - Anatoly Sobchak, politician (born 1937)
- February 29 - Nikita Moiseyev, mathematician (born 1917)
- March 9 - Artyom Borovik, journalist and media magnate (born 1960)
- March - William Pokhlyobkin, writer (born 1923)
- April 19 - Sergey Pavlovich Zalygin, writer (born 1913)
- May 19 - Yevgeny Khrunov, cosmonaut (born 1933)
- May 24 - Oleg Yefremov, actor (born 1927)
- June 2 - Svyatoslav Fyodorov, ophthalmologist and politician (born 1927)
- July 24 - Anatoli Firsov, ice hockey player (born 1941)
- August 1 - Galina Sergeyeva, actress (born 1914)
- November 20 - Nikolay Dollezhal, engineer (born 1899)
- David Klyshko, physicist (born 1929)
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 649–650. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- McGuinness, Ross (March 16, 2009). "Metro". p. 30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2000 in Russia.|