2000 in art
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- February – Opening of the New Art Gallery Walsall in the West Midlands of England.
- 13 February – The final original Peanuts comic strip is published, following the death of its creator, Charles Schulz.
- 9 March – The FBI arrests art forgery suspect Ely Sakhai in New York City.
- 11 May – Official opening of the Tate Modern in London.
- 12 October – Official opening of The Lowry theatre and gallery centre in Salford, England (designed by Michael Wilford and Buro Happold).
Full date unknown
- Felix Gonzalez-Torres retrospective at the Serpentine Gallery, London
- Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- Jake and Dinos Chapman – Hell
- Eduardo Chillida – Berlin (sculpture)
- Diana Lee Jackson – Bill Bowerman (sculpture, Eugene, Oregon)
- Leo Lankinen (posthumous) – Cross of Sorrow (memorial in Russian Karelia)
- Tad Savinar – Constellation (sculpture series, Portland, Oregon)
- Ian Sinclair, Jackie Staude, David Davies and Alistair Knox – Fairfield Industrial Dog Object
- Betty Spindler – Hot Dog (ceramic sculpture; Smithsonian American Art Museum)
- Rachel Whiteread – Judenplatz Holocaust Memorial, Vienna
- Bill Woodrow – Regardless of History, for the Fourth plinth, Trafalgar Square, London
- Makoto Yukimura – Planetes
- Archibald Prize – Adam Cullen, Portrait of David Wenham
- Beck's Futures – Roderick Buchanan
- Hugo Boss Prize- Marjetica Potrč
- Turner Prize – Wolfgang Tillmans
- 17 January – Norman Blamey, British painter (b. 1914)
- 19 February – Friedensreich Hundertwasser, Austrian painter, architect and sculptor (b. 1928)
- 26 February – Louisa Matthíasdóttir, Icelandic-American painter (b. 1917)
- 31 March – Gisèle Freund, German-born French photographer (b. 1908)
- 15 April – Edward Gorey, American illustrator (b. 1925)
- 16 April – Henry Bird, British muralist (b. 1909)
- 26 April – Gregory Gillespie, American magic realist painter (b. 1936)
- 8 May – Stanley Boxer, American painter (b. 1926)
- 3 June – Leonard Baskin, American sculptor, book-illustrator, wood-engraver, printmaker and graphic artist (b. 1922)
- 9 June – Jacob Lawrence, American painter (b. 1917)
- 10 July – Gertrud Arndt, German photographer (b. 1903)
- 17 July – Aligi Sassu, Italian painter and sculptor (b. 1912)
- 25 August – Carl Barks, American illustrator and comic book creator (b. 1901)
- 19 September – Anthony Robert Klitz, English artist (b. 1917)
- 3 December – Frank Roper, English metal sculptor and stained glass artist (b. 1914)
- 4 December – Ansgar Elde, Swedish ceramic artist (b. 1933)