2001 US Open (tennis)
|2001 US Open|
|Date||August 27 – September 9|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location||New York City, USA|
|Wayne Black / Kevin Ullyett|
|Lisa Raymond / Rennae Stubbs|
|Todd Woodbridge / Rennae Stubbs|
|Tomáš Berdych / Stéphane Bohli|
|Galina Fokina / Svetlana Kuznetsova|
The 2001 US Open was held between August 27 – September 9, 2001. It was the final Grand Slam event of 2001.
Marat Safin was unsuccessful in his title defence, being defeated in the semifinals by Pete Sampras in a rematch of the 2000 final, while Venus Williams was successful in her title defense, beating her sister Serena in the women's final. 20-year-old Australian Lleyton Hewitt won the men's title, defeating Sampras in the final. It was the second consecutive US Open final defeat for Sampras.
- It was Hewitt's 8th title of the year, and his 10th overall. It was his first career Grand Slam title, and he became the youngest male ever to be ranked number one, at the age of 20.
- It was Venus's 6th title of the year, and her 21st overall. It was her 4th career Grand Slam title, and her 2nd US Open title.
- • It was Stubbs' 2nd and last career Grand Slam mixed doubles title and her 1st and only title at the US Open.
- • It was Woodbridge's 7th and last career Grand Slam mixed doubles title and his 3rd title at the US Open.
- Kuznetsova won the 2004 women's singles crown, and reached the 2007 final.
- Janković reached the 2008 women's final.
2001 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
2002 Australian Open