2001 in archaeology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Grinnell College project at Mayapan
- Excavations at Cival directed by Dr. Francisco Estrada-Belli
- French archaeologists begin excavating Ulug Depe, an ancient bronze-age agricultural town in Turkmenistan
- Victor Buchli and Gavin Lucas (ed.), Archaeologies of the Contemporary Past. Routledge, 194 pages, ISBN 0-415-23278-3
- Barry Cunliffe, Facing the Ocean: the Atlantic and its Peoples, 8000 BC to AD 1500. Oxford University Press, hardcover, 600 pages, ISBN 0-19-924019-1
- Thomas W. Neumann and Robert M. Sanford, Practicing Archaeology: a Training Manual for Cultural Resources Archaeology. Rowman and Littlefield Pub Inc, August, 2001, hardcover, 450 pages, ISBN 0-7591-0094-2
- Thomas W. Neumann and Robert M. Sanford, Cultural Resources Archaeology: an Introduction. Rowman and Littlefield Pub Inc, December, 2001, trade paperback, 256 pages, ISBN 0-7591-0095-0
- Mike Pearson and Michael Shanks, Theatre/Archaeology: Disciplinary Dialogues. Routledge, 240 pages, ISBN 0-415-19458-X
- Donald B. Redford (ed.), The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt. Oxford University Press, hardcover, 3 vols, ISBN 0-19-510234-7
- July 20: Wreck of HMS Hood (sunk 1941) found by David Mearns in the Denmark Strait.
- November: Ringlemere Cup (Bronze Age) found by metal-detectorist Cliff Bradshaw near Dover, England.
- First fossil fragments of the hominid 'Toumaï' (Sahelanthropus tchadensis; 7 million years BP) found by a team led by Michel Brunet in Chad.
- February 6: Geoffrey Bibby, British archaeologist who discovered Dilmun. (b. 1917)
- March 29: Helge Ingstad, Norwegian explorer; co-discoverer of Viking artifacts at L'Anse aux Meadows (b. 1899)
- July 8: Jia Lanpo, Chinese prehistorian, buried at Peking Man Site in Zhoukoudian, China (b. 1908)
- September 26: Peter J. Reynolds, British experimental archaeologist (b. 1939)
- K. C. Chang, Taiwanese archaeologist; Yale and Harvard professor, author The Archaeology of Ancient China (b. 1931)
- Beauvilain, Alain (2006-10-05). "Toumaï : Histoire des Sciences et Histoire d’Hommes". TchadActuel. Archived from the original on 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Beauvilain, Alain. "Toumaï". Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Qarizadah, Daud; Behzad, Nasir (12 March 2015). "The man who helped blow up the Bamiyan Buddhas". BBC News. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Term details". British Museum. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- Fritzinger, Jerald. Pre-Columbian Trans-Oceanic Contact. Lulu.com. p. 116. ISBN 1329972163.
- Aston, Mick (5 October 2001). "Peter Reynolds". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 May 2017.