2001 in the Palestinian territories
Events in the year 2001 in the Palestinian territories.
Palestinian National Authority (non-state administrative authority)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2011)|
The most prominent events related to the Israeli–Palestinian conflict which occurred during 2001 include:
- January 21–27 – Taba Summit: Peace talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority aimed at reaching the "final status" of negotiations. Ehud Barak temporarily withdraws from negotiations during the Israeli elections, subsequently Ariel Sharon refuses to continue negotiating in the face of the newly erupted violence.
Notable Palestinian militant operations against Israeli targets
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2010)|
The most prominent Palestinian militant acts and operations committed against Israeli targets during 2001 include:
- January 1 – Netanya center bombing: 54 people are injured when a car, containing 44 pounds of explosives, explodes near a bus stop in Netanya's shopping district. Hamas claimed responsibility.
- March 1 – Mei Ami junction bombing: An Israeli is killed and nine other people are injured when a Palestinian suicide bomber detonates a bomb in a service taxi. Hamas claimed responsibility.
- March 4 – Netanya bombing: 3 elderly Israelis are killed in a suicide bombing in downtown of the coastal city of Netanya. Hamas claims responsibility.
- March 27 – Talpiot industrial zone bombing: 7 people are injured when a car explodes during the morning rush hour in the Talpiot neighborhood in southeast Jerusalem. Palestinian Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.
- March 27 – Egged bus No. 6 French Hill junction bombing: 28 people were injured, two seriously, in a suicide bombing on a northbound No. 6 bus at the French Hill Junction. Hamas claimed responsibility.
- March 28 – Mifgash Shalom attack: 3 Israelis are killed in a suicide bombing. Hamas claims responsibility.
- April 16 - Five mortar shells land, for the first time in the history of Israel, in the Israeli city Ashdod.
- April 22 – Kfar Saba bombing: A Palestinian Arab suicide bomber kills an Israeli doctor of American origin in Kfar Saba and injures 60 others. Hamas claims responsibility.
- April 23 – Or Yehuda bombing: 8 people are lightly injured when a car explodes in the town of Or Yehuda. Hamas claimed responsibility. Hamas claimed responsibility.
- May 18 – Kenyon HaSharon bombing: 5 Israelis are killed in a suicide bombing in a shopping mall in Netanya and over 100 are wounded. Hamas claims responsibility.
- May 25 – Hadera bus station suicide bombing: at least 12 people are injured when a car explodes near the bus station in the city Hadera. Hamas claimed responsibility.
- May 27 – Jerusalem bombings: two car bombs explode in the center of Jerusalem. The explosions caused no serious injuries. PFLP claimed responsibility.
- May 30 – Netanya school bombing: a car bomb explodes outside a school in the coastal city of Netanya. The explosion caused no serious injuries. Palestinian Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility.
- June 1 – Dolphinarium discothèque suicide bombing: A Hamas suicide bomber blows himself up at the entrance of a club on a beachfront in Tel Aviv. 21 Israelis are killed and 132 were wounded, all youths.
- June 22 – Dugit bombing: 2 Israeli soldiers are killed when a Booby trapped car explodes near the Jewish settlement of Dugit. Hamas claimed responsibility.
- July 2 – Yehud suburb bombing: 2 bombs which were planted in cars of 2 Yehud residents explode. The explosion caused no serious injuries. PFLP claimed responsibility.
- July 9 – Kissufim bombing: A Palestinian suicide bomber detonates his car near a in the Southern Gaza Strip crossing point of Kissufim. The explosion caused no serious injuries. Hamas claimed responsibility.
- July 16 – Binyamina Railway Station bombing: 2 Israeli soldiers are killed and 8 civilians are injured when a Palestinian suicide bomber detonates himself near the entrance to the Binyamina railway station.
- August 7 – Zohar Shurgi, 40, of moshav Yafit, was fatally shot in a drive-by shooting on Trans-Samaria Highway.
- August 9 – Sbarro restaurant massacre: A Palestinian suicide bomber wearing an explosive belt weighing five to ten kilograms, containing explosives, nails, nuts and bolts, detonates his bomb. In the blast 15 people (including seven children) are killed, and 130 wounded. Both Hamas and the Islamic Jihad initially claim responsibility.
- August 12 – Wall-Street cafe bombing: One Israeli is killed and 15 others are injured when a Palestinian suicide bomber detonates himself at the "Wall-Street" cafe in Kiryat Motzkin. The Islamic Jihad claim responsibility.
- August 21 – Russian Compound bombing: Palestinian militants explode a bomb in the center of Jerusalem. The explosions caused no serious injuries.
- September 4 – Jerusalem car bombings: Four bombs explode at the same time in Jerusalem. The explosions caused no serious injuries.
- September 9 – Nahariya Railway Station bombing: an Arab-Israeli who was sent by Hamas detonates himself on the crowded platform of the Nahariya Railway Station, killing 3 Israelis and injuring 94. Hamas claim responsibility.
- September 9 – Beit Lid Junction bombing: 12 Israelis are injured when 2 car bombs explode near a bus at the Beit Lid junction near Netanya. The Islamic Jihad claim responsibility.
- September 15 – Meir Weisshaus, 23, of Jerusalem, was fatally shot in a drive-by shooting on the Ramot-French Hill road.
- October 1 – Talpiot neighborhood bombing
- October 7 – Erez Crossing bombing
- October 7 – Kibbutz Shluhot bombing
- October 17 – Tourism minister Rehavam Zeevi is assassinated in Jerusalem Hyatt hotel by four Palestinian Arab gunmen, members of the PFLP terrorist organization
- November 4 – Shoshana Ben Ishai, 16, of Betar Illit, and Menashe (Meni) Regev, 14, of Jerusalem were killed when a Palestinian terrorist opened fire with a sub-machine gun shortly before 16:00 at a No. 25 Egged bus at the French Hill junction in northern Jerusalem. 45 people were injured in the attack.
- November 26 – Erez Crossing bombing
- November 29 – Wadi Ara bombing: Three people are killed and nine wounded in a suicide bombing of a bus near Hadera. Both Islamic Jihad and Fatah claime responsibility.
- December 1 – Ben Yehuda Street Bombing
- December 2 – Haifa bus No. 16 attack
- December 5 – Hilton Mamilla bombing
- December 9 – Check Post Junction bombing
- December 12 – Neve Dekalim bombing
Notable Israeli military operations against Palestinian militancy targets
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2010)|
- May 7 – Israel seizes the Palestinian freighter "Santorini" near the shores of Haifa which was on her way from Lebanon to the shores of the Gaza Strip and was found to be carrying a massive amount of weaponry.
- August 27 – Abu Ali Mustafa, the General Secretary of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, is assassinated by an Israeli missile shot by an Apache helicopter through his office window in Ramallah.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2011)|
- May 31 - Faisal Husseini, 60, Iraqi-born Palestinian politician and senior member of PLO.
- August 27 - Abu Ali Mustafa, 63 Palestinian politician, member of the PLO executive.
- "LIFE Photos | Classic Pictures From LIFE Magazine's Archives". LIFE.com. 1956-04-19. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "1 DEAD, 9 HURT IN BLAST". March 2, 2001. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Suicide bombing kills four in Israel". Television New Zealand. March 5, 2001. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- "FURY IN ISRAEL Jerusalem seethes as 2 blasts follow infant's killing". Daily News. New York. March 27, 2001.[dead link]
- "Palestinian Terrorism February-April 2001- Photos". Mfa.gov.il. 2001-02-15. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Wilkinson, Tracy. "Two blasts heighten pressure on Sharon Israeli retaliation not expected during Arab leaders' summit". Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Wack, Kevin (April 23, 2001). "Bombing kills two at Israeli bus stop". USA TODAY.
- "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- Nordwall, Smita P. (April 24, 2001). "Islamic Jihad leader calls for more strikes on Israel". USA TODAY.
- "Suicide Attack At Israeli Mall HAMAS BOMB KILLS SEVEN Israel retaliates; Bush decries violence". Daily News. New York. May 18, 2001.[dead link]
- Dudkevitch, Margot; Ridberg, Maia (May 27, 2001). "High alert after Hadera suicide bombing". Jerusalem Post.
- "The Mount Airy News - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- "CAR BOMB EXPLODES OUTSIDE SCHOOL, THREATENS PEACE PROCESS". May 31, 2001. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "The Palestinian Authority-Hamas Collusion - From Operational Cooperation to Propaganda Hoax". Ict.org.il. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- O'Sullvian, Arieh (2001-11-25). "No. 1 Hamas terrorist killed. Followers threaten revenge in Tel Aviv.". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Fisher, Ian (2006-01-29). "In Hamas's Overt Hatred, Many Israelis See Hope". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Ynet - פיגוע בדולפינריום - חדשות
- Hockstader, Lee (June 23, 2001). "Palestinian Bomber Kills 2 Israeli Soldiers in Gaza".
- Rudge, David (July 3, 2001). "Two bombs explode in Yehud. No injuries, but new tactic alarms authorities". Jerusalem Post.
- "Palestinian source on explosion near Israeli military position in Gaza". July 9, 2001. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Mideast truce a failure". Television New Zealand. July 10, 2001. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Rudge, David (July 17, 2001). "Suicide bomber kills two soldiers in Binyamina attack". Jerusalem Post.
- Dudkevitch, Margot (August 8, 2001). "Jordan Valley man slain in drive-by shooting". Jerusalem Post.
- "Suicide bomber kills 15 at Jerusalem restaurant". The New Zealand Herald. August 10, 2001. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- TheMarker.com Staff (2001-08-12). "About 15 wounded in blast at Kiryat Motzkin's Wall Street cafe". TheStreet. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Reuters (2001-08-21). "Bomb explodes near Israeli police HQ in Jerusalem". Express India. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Philippine Daily Inquirer - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- Jerusalem Post's coverage of the terror attack on Nahariya's Railway Station Archived May 3, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ynet מכונית תופת התפוצצה בצומת בית ליד - חדשות". ynet.co.il. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- Jewish Virtual Library;Fatal Terrorist Attacks in Israel Since the Declaration of Principles  Archived July 14, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- Minicy Catom Software Engineering Ltd. www.catom.com. "Take A Pen;Israeli children - Victims of Palestinian Terrorism". Takeapen.org. Archived from the original on 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2001 in the Palestinian territories.|