2001 in the Philippines
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2001 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in 2001.
- President: Joseph Estrada (LAMMP) (until January 20), Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (Lakas) (starting January 20)
- Vice President: Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (Lakas) (until January 20), Teofisto Guingona (Lakas) (starting January 20)
- Senate President: Aquilino Pimentel (until June 30), Franklin Drilon (starting June 30)
- House Speaker:
- Chief Justice: Hilario Davide, Jr.
- Philippine Congress: 11th Congress of the Philippines (until June 8), 12th Congress of the Philippines (starting July 23)
- January 16 – After 11 senators voted not to open the second envelope, which containing the documents against President Estrada, the prosecutors walked out.
- January 16–20 – EDSA Revolution of 2001. Millions of people marched in the streets of EDSA for a peaceful protest against President Estrada for being accused of plunder.
- January 20
- April 4 – Estrada was arrested in San Juan following a protest by his supporters and detained at Camp Crame.
- May 1 – Estrada supporters attacked Malacañan Palace following a riot, killing many and several others were rounded up by the police.
- May 14 – Legislative and local elections were held nationwide.
- May 27 – Twenty tourists were taken hostage by the Abu Sayyaf terrorists in a popular island resort in Palawan, the 22 hostages were killed and the crisis lasted 12 months.
- August 18 – A fire swept through the Manor Hotel in Quezon City and killed at least 68 people.
Main article: 2001 in Philippine television
- February 5 - Juan Karlos Labajo, The Voice Kids Finalist
- February 15 - Angeli Nicole Sanoy, actress
- May 24 - Darren Espanto, Filipino/Canadian Young Singer Of The Voice Kids
- July 21 - Timothy John Saez
- August 23 – Zaijian Jaranilla, actor
- October 18 – Carlos Dala, actor
- March 10 – Arturo Alcaraz – volcanologist (b. 1916)
- March 13 – Encarnacion Alzona – historian, educator and suffragist. (b. 1895)
- August 19 - Felicisimo Fajardo – Olympic Basketball player (b. 1915)
- October 3 - Alfie Almario – basketball player (b. 1963)
- October 1 - Chuck Perez - Actor (b. Chuck Samuel Alejandro Mendoza Perez b. January 22, 1957) (Brother of Movie Director Elwood Perez)
- October 12 - Eddie Rodriguez – film director (b. 1932)
- November 7 - Nida Blanca – Actress (b. 1936)
- November 8 - Valentin Eduque – basketball coach and player. (b. 1927)
- November 23 - Maria Teresa Carlson – Actress (b. 1963)