2002 New York Mets season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|2002 New York Mets|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Steve Phillips|
(Tom Seaver, Gary Thorne)
Fox Sports New York/MSG
(Ralph Kiner, Fran Healy, Howie Rose, Gary Thorne)
(Bob Murphy, Gary Cohen, Ed Coleman, Ted Robinson)
(Juan Alicea, Billy Berroa)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Roster
- 4 Player stats
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- October 22, 2001: Jorge Velandia was signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets.
- December 7, 2001: David Justice was traded by the New York Yankees to the New York Mets for Robin Ventura.
- December 11, 2001: Roberto Alomar was traded by the Cleveland Indians with Danny Peoples (minors) and Mike Bacsik to the New York Mets for players to be named later, Matt Lawton, Alex Escobar, and Jerrod Riggan. The New York Mets sent Earl Snyder (December 13, 2001) and Billy Traber (December 13, 2001) to the Cleveland Indians to complete the trade.
- December 13, 2001: Dave Weathers was signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets.
- December 14, 2001: David Justice was traded by the New York Mets to the Oakland Athletics for Mark Guthrie and Tyler Yates.
- December 16, 2001: Tsuyoshi Shinjo was traded by the New York Mets with Desi Relaford to the San Francisco Giants for Shawn Estes.
- January 21, 2002: Alex Ochoa was traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Colorado Rockies to the Milwaukee Brewers. The New York Mets sent Lenny Harris and Glendon Rusch to the Milwaukee Brewers. The New York Mets sent Benny Agbayani, Todd Zeile, and cash to the Colorado Rockies. The Colorado Rockies sent Craig House and Ross Gload to the New York Mets. The Milwaukee Brewers sent Jeff D'Amico, Jeromy Burnitz, Lou Collier, Mark Sweeney, and cash to the New York Mets.
- March 13, 2002: Mark Sweeney was released by the New York Mets.
- March 24, 2002: Jason Bay was traded by the Montreal Expos with Jimmy Serrano to the New York Mets for Lou Collier.
Opening Day starters
- Edgardo Alfonzo
- Roberto Alomar
- Jeromy Burnitz
- Roger Cedeño
- Al Leiter
- Rey Ordóñez
- Jay Payton
- Mike Piazza
- Mo Vaughn
National League East
|New York Mets||75||86||0.466||26½||38–43||37–43|
Record vs. opponents
2002 National League Records
- April 5, 2002: Marco Scutaro was selected off waivers by the New York Mets from the Milwaukee Brewers.
- June 4, 2002: Scott Kazmir was drafted by the New York Mets in the 1st round (15th pick) of the 2002 amateur draft. Player signed August 2, 2002.
- July 31, 2002: Jason Bay was traded by the New York Mets with Josh Reynolds (minors) and Bobby Jones to the San Diego Padres for Steve Reed and Jason Middlebrook.
|2002 New York Mets|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
See also: Minor League Baseball
- Jason Bay Statistics Baseball-Reference.com
- Marco Scutaro Statistics Baseball-Reference.com
- Scott Kazmir Statistics Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007