2002 in Malaysia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
2002 in Malaysia is the 45th anniversary of Malaysia's independence.
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Tuanku Fauziah
- Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi
- Sultan of Johor: Sultan Iskandar
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Sultan Yahya Petra
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Faizuddin (Regent)
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Azlan Shah
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Ahmad Al-Haj bin Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Sakaran Dandai
- 24 January – Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) rejoins Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition.
- 23 February — Ahmad and Muhammad Rosli, Malaysian siamese twins are successfully separated at King Fahd National Guard Hospital, Saudi Arabia.
- 14 April — The Express Rail Link (ERL) Malaysia's first high speed train is launched.
- 19 April – About 14 more suspected hardcore Kumpulan Militan Malaysia (KMM) members, including a woman were arrested under the Internal Security Act (ISA) bringing to 62 the number of KMM members held since May 2001.
- 22 April — Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is installed as 12th Yang di-Pertuan Agong
- 8 June — Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad visit Vatican City and meet Pope John Paul II for the first time.
- 22 June — Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad announced that he will resign from the office and be replaced by Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
- 23 June — Pan Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) president, Fadzil died on after undergoing heart bypass surgery. He was succeeded as PAS President and leader of the opposition in Parliament by Abdul Hadi Awang.
- July — The Pendang MP by-elections, Barisan Nasional (BN) win in this elections.
- 21 November — The bungalow of the Affin Bank chairman General (RtD) Tan Sri Ismail Omar collapse causing landslide in Taman Hillview, Ulu Klang, Selangor. Eight people were killed.
- 18 December — Sipadan and Ligitan Islands are officially awarded to Malaysia by the International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- 24 February-9 March – 2002 Men's Hockey World Cup
- June – 2002 World's Strongest Man, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 11-13 October – 2002 Malaysian motorcycle Grand Prix
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Normadiah — Malay actress
- Mahmud June — Malay actors
- Dato' Ahmad Daud — Malay actors and singers
- Dato' Rafeah Buang — Malay singers
- Fazidah Joned — Malay singers (famous songs "Selamat Hari Raya")
- Hasliza Ishak — second wife of Raja Di-Hilir Perak was murdered
- Fadzil Noor — the president of PAS political party, a member parliament for Pendang and state assemblymen for Anak Bukit, Kedah.
- Rejabhad — Famous cartoonist
- Tan Sri Wong Pow Nee — first Penang's Chief Minister