2002 in China
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 2002 in the People's Republic of China)
|See also:||Other events of 2002
List of years in China
Timeline of Chinese history
2002 in the Republic of China
2002 in Macau
Events in the year 2002 in China.
- Party General Secretary - Jiang Zemin until November 15, Hu Jintao
- President – Jiang Zemin
- Premier – Zhu Rongji
- Congress Chairman - Li Peng
- Conference Chairman - Li Ruihuan
- March 25 – Shenzhou 3, an unmanned Chinese spacecraft, was launched.
- April 15 – An Air China Boeing 767-200 crashes into a hillside during heavy rain and fog near Pusan, South Korea, killing 128.
- June - Discovery of the Hidden character stone (est.)
- August 22 – In China, the Dongting Lake floods Yueyang, forcing the evacuation of 600,000 people; the crest of the flooding from the Yangtze River is expected Sunday. Floods and landslides have killed nearly 1000 people in China, 200 in the Hunan province.
- November 8 – President of the People's Republic of China Jiang Zemin announced several key policies at the 16th National Congress of the Communist Party of China in Beijing. Although Marxism-Leninism would remain the official ideology of China, entrepreneurs and people in unconventional occupations, who are building "socialism with Chinese characteristics", would have a voice in establishing Communist Party ideology.
- November 15 – Hu Jintao becomes General Secretary of the Communist Party of China.
- December 29 – China successfully launches Shenzhou 4, the fourth unmanned launch of the Chinese Shenzhou spacecraft.
- November 6 - Giulio Taccon, musician and actor