2003 Iran (IIRG) Il-76 crash
An Ilyushin Il-76 similar to the one involved in the accident
|Date||19 February 2003|
|Summary||CFIT due to pilot error during descent in poor weather|
|Site||35 km (22 mi) SE of Kerman|
|Aircraft type||Ilyushin Il-76MD|
|Operator||Aerospace Force of the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution|
|Flight origin||Zahedan Airport|
The 2003 Iran Ilyushin Il-76 crash occurred on 19 February 2003, when an Ilyushin Il-76 crashed in mountainous terrain near Kerman in Iran. The Aerospace Force of the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution aircraft, registration 15-2280, was flying from Zahedan to Kerman when it crashed 35 kilometres (22 mi) southeast of Kerman. The aircraft was carrying members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard, a special force that is independent from the Iranian Army, on an unknown mission.
Strong winds were reported in the region of the crash when the aircraft disappeared from the radar screens; approximately at the same time, villagers in the area described hearing a loud explosion. There were no survivors among the 275 occupants on board the aircraft.[nb 1] As of November 2014[update] the crash, the third of an Il-76 in Iran, remains the deadliest on Iranian soil and the worst crash of an Il-76; it is also the ninth-deadliest aviation accident of all time.
There was speculation that the accident was the result of a mid-air collision due to the high number of fatalities (the Il-76 normally carries fewer than 200 passengers). A terrorist organization called the Abu-Bakr Brigades also claimed responsibility for the crash.
- 2005 Iranian Air Force C-130 crash
- Charkhi Dadri mid-air collision, involving an Il-76 and a Boeing 747; and with a higher loss of life
Notes and references
- Accident description for 15-2280 at the Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved on 24 November 2014.
- "Fog halts Iran air crash search". Archived from the original on 4 February 2007. Retrieved 2008-11-17.
- "Iranian plane crash kills 302". Archived from the original on 29 August 2007. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "Iran plane crash kills 302". BBC News. 20 February 2013. Archived from the original on 12 July 2013.
- "List of the 100 worst aviation occurrences (including criminal occurrences), excluding ground fatalities, including collision fatalities". Aviation Safety Network. Flight Safety Foundation. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014.
- "RFE/RL Iran Report". IranReport. globalsecurity.org. 24 February 2003. Archived from the original on 21 July 2009.
- "No survivors in Iran plane crash". BBC News. 20 February 2003. Archived from the original on 12 July 2013.
- Fathi, Nazila (21 February 2003). "Storm Hinders Iranian Crews Sent to Search Site of Crash". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 12 February 2014.