2003 Outback Bowl
|2003 Outback Bowl|
|Date||January 1, 2003|
|Stadium||Raymond James Stadium|
|MVP||Chris Perry (Michigan RB)|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Dave Barnett, Mike Golic, Bill Curry|
The 2003 Outback Bowl was a college football bowl game held on January 1, 2003 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. The Michigan Wolverines, third-place finishers in the Big Ten Conference, defeated the Florida Gators, who finished second the Eastern Division of the Southeastern Conference, 38-30. Michigan running back Chris Perry was named the game's MVP.
Michigan got on the board first after a 4-yard touchdown run by Chris Perry to open up a 7-0 lead. In the second quarter, Florida running back Earnest Graham scored on a 2-yard touchdown run to tie the game at 7-7. Later in the second quarter, Graham scored again on a 1-yard run, but a two-point conversion attempt by Ran Carthon failed. Florida led 13-7. Chris Perry scored again on a 1-yard run to give Michigan a 14-13 lead. Florida kicker Matt Leach connected on a 29-yard field goal to retake the lead for the Gators, 16-14. John Navarre threw an 8-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Ronald Bellamy to give Michigan a 21-16 halftime lead.
In the third quarter, Florida quarterback Rex Grossman threw a 33-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Keiwan Ratliff to put Florida up 23-21. Michigan answered with two more touchdown runs by Chris Perry, from 7 and 12 yards out, to lead 35-23. In the fourth quarter, Grossman found wide receiver Aaron Walker for a 3-yard touchdown pass to cut the lead to 35-30. Adam Finley connected on a 33-yard field goal to increase Michigan's lead to 38-30, which held up as the final score.
- Michigan - Chris Perry, 4-yard run (Adam Finley kick)
- Florida - Earnest Graham, 2-yard run (Matt Leach kick)
- Florida - Earnest Graham, 1-yard run (Ran Carthon run failed)
- Michigan - Chris Perry, 1-yard run (Adam Finley kick)
- Florida - Matt Leach, 29-yard field goal
- Michigan - Ronald Bellamy, 8-yard pass from John Navarre (John Hines kick)
- Florida - Keiwan Ratliff, 33-yard pass from Rex Grossman (Matt Leach kick)
- Michigan - Chris Perry, 7-yard run (Adam Finley kick)
- Michigan - Chris Perry, 12-yard run (Adam Finley kick)
- Florida - Aaron Walker, 3-yard pass from Rex Grossman (Matt Leach kick)
- Michigan - Adam Finley, 33-yard field goal