2003 in Russia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 2003
List of years in Russia
Events from the year 2003 in Russia.
- 17 April - Assassination of Sergei Yushenkov, co-chairman of the Liberal Russia party and critic of President Vladimir Putin.
- 29 April - Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair holds a one-day summit with President Putin. Putin mocks Britain's and America's failure to locate weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
- 12 May - 2003 Znamenskoye suicide bombing: Three suicide bombers drive a truck bomb into the FSB directorate complex in Znamenskoye, Chechen Republic killing at least 59 people.
- 2 July - 36-year-old billionaire oil baron Roman Abramovich buys the English football club Chelsea for £140million.
- 25 October - Arrest of Mikhail Khodorkovsky, chairman of the YUKOS oil company, on charges of fraud.
- 27 October–30 October - The stock market falls by 16.5% as the arrest of Mikhail Khodorkovsky is seen as politically motivated leading to a loss in business confidence.
- 7 December - President Putin's United Russia party wins the largest number of seats in the legislative election.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2011)
- 26 January - Valeriy Brumel, athlete (born 1942)
- 17 April - Sergei Yushenkov, politician (born 1950)
- 28 May - Ilya Prigogine, Russian-born physicist and chemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry (born 1917)
- 5 July - Roman Lyashenko, hockey player (born 1979)
- 23 September - Yuri Senkevich, TV anchorman (born 1937)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2003 in Russia.|