2005 Moscow Victory Day Parade
The 2005 Moscow Victory Day Parade was a military parade which took place in Red Square in Moscow on 9 May 2005 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the capitulation of Nazi Germany in 1945. The parade was inspected by the Minister of Defence General of the Army Sergei Ivanov and it was commanded by Moscow Military District Commander Ivan Efremov.
Music was performed by the Massed Bands of the Moscow Garrison directed by Colonel Valery Khalilov on his 3rd national parade, the first to include 4 international marching bands.
This was the last time veterans took part directly as participants. This time through, reenacting the motorized infantry of the original 1945 parade mobile column, many veterans of the fronts rode in the very trucks which carried infantry to the front lines of the war, arranged accordingly by the fronts they took part at war's end.
Important dignitaries in attendance
- Chinese President Hu Jintao
- US President George W. Bush
- British Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott
- Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen
- Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh
- Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero
- Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi
- Canadian Governor General Adrienne Clarkson
- Czech President Václav Klaus
- Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun
- Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende
- Former military president of Poland Wojciech Jaruzelski
- German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder
- Ukrainian President Victor Yushchenko
- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- French President Jacques Chirac
- UN Secretary General Kofi Annan
- European Commission President José Manuel Barroso
- Turkmen President Saparmurat Niyazov
- Tajik President Emomali Rahmon
- Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
- Kazakh President Nursultan Nazerbayev
- Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili
- Latvian President Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga
- "Leaders mourn Soviet wartime dead". BBC News Channel. BBC. 2005-05-09. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- Associated Press (2005-05-10). "Bush joins Putin for parade". Tulsa World. AP. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- Bash, Dana; King, John (2005-05-10). "Bush dances after arrival in Georgia". CNN International. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- Parfitt, Tom (2015-03-23). "Leaders' snub of Moscow victory parade 'insult to soldiers', says Russia". The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 August 2016.