2006 Heineken Cup Final
|Event||2005–06 Heineken Cup|
|Date||20 May 2006|
|Venue||Millennium Stadium, Cardiff|
|Referee||Chris White (England)|
The 2006 Heineken Cup Final was the final match of the 2005–06 Heineken Cup, the 11th season of Europe's top club rugby union competition. The match was played on 20 May 2006 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. The match was contested by Biarritz of France and Munster of Ireland. Munster won the match 23–19.
Over two-thirds of the 75,000 crowd were supporting Munster in Cardiff, while 15,000 fans watched the match live on a big screen on O'Connell Street in Limerick with an estimated 40,000 turning out for the victorious homecoming in Limerick on 21 May. The scenes from O'Connell Street in Limerick were shown live at pivotal points in the game on large video screens inside the Millennium Stadium, which Biarritz believed to have given Munster an unfair advantage.
Sereli Bobo scored a controversial early try for Biarritz after two minutes, touching down in the left corner with his foot appearing to have been in touch as he ran in to score. Ronan O'Gara narrowed the gap with a seventh-minute penalty before Trevor Halstead powered over from close range on the left side of the pitch to get Munster's opening try after 17 minutes. Dimitri Yachvili then levelled the scores with a 22nd-minute penalty. After 31 minutes, with the score level at 10–10, Munster got their second try of the game when Peter Stringer saw that opposite number Yachvili was out of position and rounded the blindside of the scrum on the right and ran untouched to go over and score in the right corner. O'Gara's conversion put Munster 17–10 ahead before half-time and a second penalty from O'Gara just after the interval put them further ahead. Three penalties from Yachvili narrowed the gap to just one point with 10 minutes to go before O'Gara scored another penalty for Munster in the 73rd minute and they held out to win by four points.
20 May 2006
|Try: Bobo 2' c
Pen: Yachvili (4) 22', 48', 51', 70'
|Report||Try: Halstead 17' c
Stringer 31' c
Con: O'Gara (2)
Pen: O'Gara (3) 7', 42', 73'
- "Munster 23-19 Biarritz". BBC Sport. 20 May 2006. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- "Munster finally claim Heineken Cup". Guardian. 20 May 2006. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "In a wine-red sea, victory is Munster's at last". New York Times. 21 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Munster's Mission". BBC Sport. 18 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Munster desperate for final glory". BBC Sport. 17 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Forty thousand shades of welcome as champions return to huge victory celebration". Guardian. 22 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Biarritz see red at Limerick scenes shown during final". Irish Examiner. 29 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Heineken Cup final match-tracker". RTÉ Sport. 20 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Munster end years of woe and the town is painted red". Guardian. 21 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Emotional Stringer earns place in history by beating Bobo on a wing and a prayer". Guardian. 22 May 2006. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Munster Formation 2006 Heineken Cup Final". Munster Rugby. Retrieved 26 February 2014.