2006 PBA Philippine Cup
|2006 PBA Philippine Cup|
|Duration||March 5 – July 21, 2006|
|TV partner(s)||ABC (Local)
The Filipino Channel (International)
|Champions||Purefoods Chunkee Giants|
|Runners-up||Red Bull Barako|
|Best Player||Danny Seigle (San Miguel)|
|Finals MVP||Marc Pingris (Purefoods)|
|PBA Philippine Cup chronology|
|PBA conference chronology|
The 2006 Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Philippine Cup or known as the 2006 Gran Matador Brandy Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Philippine Cup is the second conference of the 2005-06 PBA season.
The tournament has four rounds, the wildcard playoffs, quarterfinals, semi-finals and the Finals. All nine teams are included in the playoffs.
- 1 Tournament format
- 2 Classification round
- 3 Bracket
- 4 Wildcard phase
- 5 Quarterfinals
- 6 Semi-finals
- 7 Third place playoff
- 8 Finals
- 9 Broadcasters
- 10 Further information
- 11 External links
- Double round classifications.
- Wildcard playoffs
- Sixth to Ninth place teams will play in a single round robin, with their win-loss records in the classification phase being carried over.
- Team with the best record after three games will move to the quarterfinals.
- If a team wins all three games in the round robin despite not having the best record of the four team, a knockout match will be held against the team with the best record for the final quarterfinals spot.
- Fourth seed advance outright to the best-of-five quarterfinals, to meet fifth seed team (QF-A).
- Third seed advance outright to the best-of-five quarterfinals, to meet winner of the Wildcard playoffs (QF-B).
- Second seed advance outright to the best-of-seven semi-finals, to meet winner of the QF-B (SF-A).
- First seed advance outright to the best-of-seven semi-finals, to meet winner of the QF-A (SF-B).
- Winners of SF-A and SF-B face off for the best-of-seven Finals for the 2006 Philippine Cup Championship.
- Losers of SF-A and SF-B face off for a one-game playoff for the Third Place trophy.
|Qualified for semifinals|
|Qualified for quarterfinals|
|Qualified for wildcards|
These are the final standings after ties and classification games were sorted out.
|1||Purefoods Chunkee Giants||12||4||.750||-|
|2||San Miguel Beermen||11||5||.689||1|
|3||Red Bull Barako||9||7||.563||3||+11|
|7||Barangay Ginebra Kings||7||9||.438||5||-26|
|8||Talk N' Text Phone Pals||6||10||.375||6|
|9||Sta. Lucia Realtors||4||12||.250||8|
Fifth seed playoff
- At Araneta: Coca-Cola 87, Air21 73
- Coca-Cola captures third outright quarterfinals berth, Air21 is relegated to the wildcard playoffs, a round-robin format.
|7||Brgy. Ginebra||10-9||3-0||3||Red Bull||2|
|8||Talk 'N Text||6-13||0-3||1||Purefoods||4|
|(7) Barangay Ginebra Kings||10||9||.526||-||3||0|
|(6) Air21 Express||9||10||.474||1||2||1|
|(8) Talk N' Text Phone Pals||6||13||.316||4||0||3|
|(9) Sta. Lucia Realtors||5||14||.263||5||1||2|
By virtue of having the best cumulative record in the wildcard phase, Barangay Ginebra advances to the quarterfinals.
Red Bull-Barangay Ginebra series
|7||Barangay Ginebra Kings||86||112||95||97||98||2|
|3||Red Bull Barako||95||103||87||118||120||3|
|1||Purefoods Chunkee Giants||92||77||82||77||85||99||90||4|
San Miguel-Red Bull series
|4||Red Bull Barako||94||98||99||82||107||101||86||4|
|2||San Miguel Beermen||78||114||95||106||101||116||84||3|
Third place playoff
Series scoring summary
The following scoring summary is written in a line score format, except that the quarter numbers are replaced by game numbers.
|Team||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Game 4||Game 5||Game 6||Wins|
† denotes number of overtimes
|Purefoods Chunkee Giants 90, Red Bull Barako 83|
|Purefoods wins series, 4–2|
Wednesday, July 5, at the Araneta Coliseum
Friday, July 7, at the Cuneta Astrodome
Purefoods came off to a great start in the first quarter, taking a big 12-point lead. But the Bulls bounced back behind Lordy Tugade and the rest of the team to take a 46-38 halftime lead. But the Giants' strong third quarter put the game out of reach for a 2-0 lead in the series.
Sunday, July 9, at the Araneta Coliseum
Trailing 0-2, the Bulls made a strong statement in Game 3. Big games by the rest of the team in the third quarter, gave Red Bull a commanding 17-point cushion. Despite a fourth-quarter rally by Purefoods, the Bulls held on to cut the margin to just one game, going into Game 4.
Wednesday, July 12, at the Araneta Coliseum
Purefoods started hot from the get go with key games from newly crowned MVP James Yap and Most Improved Player Marc Pingris. The Giants led by as many as 34 points and the Bulls never looked back as Purefoods needs one more win to clinch their first crown since 2002.
Wednesday, July 19, at the Araneta Coliseum
Purefoods was on the verge to win the title with a 15-point third quarter lead behind the strong shooting of James Yap. But Red Bull fought back in the fourth quarter as Enrico Villanueva and the Bulls slowly mounted a comeback to steal the game from the Chunkee Giants extending the series to a sixth game.
Friday, July 21, at the Araneta Coliseum
Purefoods and Red Bull had a see-saw battle, with neither trailing by more than ten points. By the halfway mark of the fourth quarter, Red Bull committed a barage of fouls that led to freethrows for Purefoods, which a majority were converted. Missed freethrows by Barako Junthy Valenzuela sealed defeat for the Barakos.
|2006 Philippine Cup Champions|
Purefoods Chunkee Giants
The play-by-play commentators are Mico Halili and Ed Picson, while the color commentators are Norman Black, Quinito Henson and Chot Reyes. The courtside reporters are Richard del Rosario, Eric Reyes, Jason Webb and Patricia Bermudez-Hizon.
- Talk N' Text failed to enter the quarterfinals for the first time since the 1998 All-Filipino Cup, when the then-Mobiline Phone Pals failed to enter the semifinals of the said tournament.
- Barangay Ginebra failed to enter the semifinals for the first since the 2003 Reinforced Conference.
- Coca-Cola and Alaska met for the first time since Alaska won the 2003 Invitational tournament over the Tigers.
- Alaska's defeat in the semifinals was the third time that the Aces fail to beat Purefoods after leading a series 2-0. In 1990, Alaska lost to Purefoods, 3-2 in the Third Conference Finals after they won the first two games of the series. In 2002, the Aces lost to the then-TJ Hotdogs in seven games after taking a 2-0 series lead. In the semifinals, they had a 2-0 and 3-1 series leads.
- San Miguel has not won a seventh game since 1992, since defeating Purefoods for the Third Conference crown. Since then, the Beermen lost to Alaska in the 1995 Governors Cup Finals and the 1998 All-Filipino Cup, to Coca-Cola in the 2003 Reinforced Conference Finals and to Red Bull in the 2006 Philippine Cup semifinals.
- Red Bull has won all Game 7s they have played since joining the league in 2000. Red Bull defeated Talk N' Text for the 2002 Commissioners Cup trophy. In the 2006 Fiesta Conference semifinals, the Bulls beat Barangay Ginebra and in the 2006 Philippine Cup Playoffs semis, they won over San Miguel.
- It was Purefoods' 11th finals appearance in the All-Filipino Conference, now called as the Philippine Cup since the 2004-2005 event. They have won four All-Filipino titles in history with the 1997 edition as their last.
- A win by Red Bull in the finals would sweep all the titles available in the 2005-2006 PBA season. It would be the first since Alaska won the PBA grand slam in 1996. However, the term grand slam, provided a Bulls win in the Philippine Cup, is disputed as of the moment.
- The Red Bull-Purefoods finals duel was the first back-to-back conference finals matchup since 1998, when Mobiline Phone Pals and the Formula Shell Zoom Masters met in the special 1998 PBA Centennial Cup and the 1998 PBA Governors Cup. The Phone Pals won 67-66 in the one game Centennial final, while the Zoom Masters defeated Mobiline in seven full games to win the Governor's Cup. With the Centennial Cup being classified as a special tournament, the last back-to-back full conference Finals match-ups was between Alaska and San Miguel in the same 1998 season, at the All-Filipino and Commissioner's Cups.