2006 Voyageurs Cup
|2006 Coupe des Voyageurs (in French)|
|Champions||Montreal Impact (5th title)|
|Goals scored||10 (1.67 per match)|
|Attendance||38,717 (6,453 per match)|
|Top goal scorer(s)||Sita-Taty Matondo |
(2 goals each)
The 2006 Voyageurs Cup was the fifth edition of the Voyageurs Cup tournament started by the Canadian supporters group The Voyageurs. The 2006 Edition of the tournament featured Montreal Impact, Toronto Lynx and Vancouver Whitecaps.
The 2006 Voyageurs Cup was won by Montreal Impact won by a single point in the table over the second place Toronto Lynx, clinching the competition in the final all-Canadian match of the 2006 USL season in a scoreless draw against the Linx on September 8, 2006. All three sides recorded a single win in the competition, however only Montreal was able to go undefeated against the other Canadian sides recording a win and three draws totaling six points in the table.
Each team played two matches (home and away) against each other team. All of these matches were drawn from the USL First Division 2006 regular season. The 2006 USL First Division was not a balanced home and away competition where each team played the others an equal number of times; only the final two matches played between each city's team is counted as a Voyageurs Cup 2006 match. In each match, 3 points were awarded for wins (even had it come in extra time), 1 point was awarded for a draw, and 0 points were awarded for losses (even had it come in extra time). The four teams were ranked according to the total number of points obtained in all matches.
The team ranked highest after all matches have been played was to be crowned the champion, and would be awarded the Voyageurs Cup.
Results by round
|Vancouver Whitecaps FC||2–0||Toronto Lynx|
|Joey Gjertsen 45'
Sita-Taty Matondo 82'
|Toronto Lynx||2–1||Vancouver Whitecaps FC|
|Jamie Dodds 20'
Damien Pottinger 31'
|Report||Sita-Taty Matondo 29'|
|Montreal Impact||1–1||Vancouver Whitecaps FC|
|Mauricio Vincello 90'||Report||Steve Kindel 21'|
|Vancouver Whitecaps FC||0–1||Montreal Impact|
|Report||Joel John Bailey 55'|
|Toronto Lynx||1–1||Montreal Impact|
|Jamie Dodds 48'||Report
|Zé Roberto 70'|
|Montreal Impact||0–0||Toronto Lynx|
5th Voyageurs Cup Win
- Bin, Matthew. "Voyageurs Cup Announced For A-League Teams". canadasoccer.com. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Daniel Squizzato (August 11, 2015). "Canadian Championship: The amazing story behind the fan-created trophy awarded to Canada's best". MLSSoccer.com. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "Montreal Impact vs. Toronto Lynx 0 – 0". Soccerway.com. September 7, 2006. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "VOYAGEURS CUP 2006". voyageurscup.ca. Archived from the original on 6 December 2006. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Voyageurs Cup 2006 Goalscorers". Retrieved Jan 10, 2019.