2006 in tennis
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This page covers all the important events in the sport of tennis in 2006. Primarily, it provides the results of notable tournaments throughout the year on both the ATP and WTA Tours, the Davis Cup, and the Fed Cup.
Roger Federer triumphed in four top tennis contests in 2006: Wimbledon, the Australian Open, the US Open, and the Tennis Masters Cup. Amélie Mauresmo won at Wimbledon and the Australian Open; while Justine Henin-Hardenne won the French Open and the WTA Tour Championships. Other champions that year included Rafael Nadal in the French Open, and Maria Sharapova in the US Open. In international team competitions, the Russian men's team beat Argentina to win the Davis Cup, and the Italian women's team beat Belgium to win the Fed Cup.
- Australian Open (January 16 – January 29)
- Men's Singles: Roger Federer d. Marcos Baghdatis, 5–7, 7–5, 6–0, 6–2.
- Women's Singles: Amélie Mauresmo d. Justine Henin-Hardenne, 6–1, 2–0, Henin-Hardenne retires.
- Men's Doubles: Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan d. Martin Damm & Leander Paes, 4–6, 6–3, 6–4.
- Women's Doubles: Zi Yan & Jie Zheng d. Samantha Stosur & Lisa Raymond, 2–6, 7–6(9–7), 6–3.
- Mixed Doubles: Martina Hingis & Mahesh Bhupathi d. Elena Likhovtseva & Daniel Nestor, 6–3, 6–3.
- French Open (May 28 – June 11) – Details
- Men's Singles: Rafael Nadal d. Roger Federer, 1–6, 6–1, 6–4, 7–6(7–4).
- Women's Singles: Justine Henin-Hardenne d. Svetlana Kuznetsova, 6–4, 6–4.
- Men's Doubles: Jonas Björkman & Max Mirnyi d. Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan, 6–7(5–7), 6–4, 7–5.
- Women's Doubles: Lisa Raymond & Samantha Stosur d. Daniela Hantuchová & Ai Sugiyama, 6–3, 6–2.
- Mixed Doubles: Katarina Srebotnik & Nenad Zimonjić d. Elena Likhovtseva & Daniel Nestor, 6–3, 6–4.
- Wimbledon – Details
- Men's Singles: Roger Federer d. Rafael Nadal, 6–0, 7–6(7–5), 6–7(2–7), 6–3.
- Women's Singles: Amélie Mauresmo d. Justine Henin-Hardenne, 2–6, 6–3, 6–4.
- Men's Doubles: Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan† d. Fabrice Santoro & Nenad Zimonjić, 6–3, 4–6, 6–4, 6–2.
- Women's Doubles: Zi Yan & Jie Zheng d. Virginia Ruano Pascual & Paola Suárez, 6–3, 3–6, 6–2.
- Mixed Doubles: Vera Zvonareva & Andy Ram d. Venus Williams & Bob Bryan, 6–3, 6–2.
- U.S. Open
- Men's Singles: Roger Federer d. Andy Roddick, 6–2, 4–6, 7–5, 6–1.
- Women's Singles: Maria Sharapova d. Justine Henin-Hardenne, 6–4, 6–4.
- Men's Doubles: Martin Damm & Leander Paes d. Jonas Björkman & Max Mirnyi, 6–7(5–7), 6–4, 6–3.
- Women's Doubles: Nathalie Dechy & Vera Zvonareva d. Dinara Safina & Katarina Srebotnik, 7–6(7–5), 7–5.
- Mixed Doubles: Martina Navratilova & Bob Bryan d. Květa Peschke & Martin Damm, 6–2, 6–3.
World Group Draw
- *Choice of ground
World Group Playoffs
Date: 22 Sep – 24 Sep
|Leiden, Netherlands||Czech Republic||4–1||Netherlands|
|Bucharest, Romania||Romania||4–1||Korea Republic|
|Belo Horizonte, Brazil||Sweden||3–1||Brazil|
|Geneva, Switzerland||Switzerland||4–1||Serbia and Montenegro|
World Group I Draw
- *Choice of ground
- Final: USA d. Netherlands, 2–1.
- Shanghai, People's Republic of China, indoor taraflex (November 11 – 18)
- Indian Wells, outdoor hardcourt (March 10 – 19)
- Miami, outdoor hardcourt (March 23 – April 2)
- Monte Carlo, outdoor clay (April 17 – 23)
- Rome, outdoor clay (May 8–14)
- Hamburg, outdoor clay (May 15–20)
- Toronto, outdoor hardcourt (August 7–13)
- Cincinnati, outdoor hardcourt (August 14 – 20)
- Madrid, indoor greenset (October 16–22)
- Paris, indoor carpet (October 30 – November 5)
(May 21 – May 27)
- TP: Ties Played
- TW: Ties Won
- MW: Matches Won
- SW: Sets Won
- Final: Croatia d. Germany, 2–0.
- Madrid, Spain (November 6–11)
- Tokyo, Japan: Toray Pan Pacific Open, indoor carpet
- Indian Wells, USA: Pacific Life Open, outdoor hardcourt (March 10 – March 19)
- Miami, USA: NASDAQ-100 Open, outdoor hardcourt (March 23 – April 2)
- Charleston, USA: Family Circle Cup, outdoor clay (April 10 – April 16)
- Berlin, Germany: Qatar Total German Open, outdoor clay
- Rome, Italy: Campionati Internazionali d'Italia, outdoor clay
- San Diego, USA: Acura Classic, outdoor hardcourt
- Montreal, Canada: Rogers Cup presented by National Bank, outdoor hardcourt
- Moscow, Russia: Kremlin Cup, indoor supreme
- Zürich, Switzerland: Zurich Open
- 3: Andre Agassi (United States)