2006 in China
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 2006 in the People's Republic of China)
|See also:||Other events of 2006
List of years in China
Timeline of Chinese history
2006 in the Republic of China
2006 in Macau
Events in the year 2006 in China.
- Party General Secretary – Hu Jintao
- President – Hu Jintao
- Premier – Wen Jiabao
- Congress Chairman – Wu Bangguo
- Conference Chairman – Jia Qinglin
- March 3: The 2006 Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference opens in Beijing.
- April 14: A man disfigured in a bear attack becomes the first in China to have a face transplant.
- April 30: 24 miners killed in a mine explosion in the Chinese province of Shaanxi. "Blast at China coal mine kills 27". BBC News. April 30, 2006.
- May 11: Baidu Baike, a Chinese collaborative online encyclopedia, is launched in People's Republic of China by Baidu.com, modelled on Wikipedia but heavily self censored. Wikipedia is largely inaccessible without a proxy in China.
- May 20: The construction of the Three Gorges Dam wall, the largest dam in the world, is completed in the People's Republic of China.
- July 1: The Qingzang railway launches a trial operation, making Tibet the last province-level entity of China to have a conventional railway.
- July 6: The Nathula Pass between India and China, sealed during the Sino-Indian War, re-opens for trade after 44 years.
- July 7: An explosion in the village of Dongzhai village in Shanxi province in north China kills 43 people.
- July 11: Liu Xiang of China sets a new World Record for the 110 metres hurdles at the Super Grand Prix in Lausanne with a time of 12.88 seconds.
- July 22: July 2006 Yunnan earthquake: An earthquake measuring 5.1-5.2 in magnitude hits a mountainous region of Yunnan Province in south China killing at least 18-19 people and injuring at least 60 more.
- July 27: More than 80 people dead and missing as a result of Typhoon Kaemi.
- August 10: More than 1.5 million Chinese evacuate while Super Typhoon Saomai, the strongest to land in China in 50 years, makes landfall in Wenzhou, Zhejiang.
- November 13: Nanshan Colliery disaster: A colliery explosion in Shanxi province in northern China kills at least 24 miners.
- December 20: Ma Ji, Chinese actor (born 1934)
- "10th CPPCC National Committee opens 4th session in Beijing".
- "First face transplant for China". BBC News. 14 Apr 2006.
- "Site launches 'Chinese Wikipedia'". BBC News. 11 May 2006.
- "Three Gorges dam wall completed". BBC News. 20 May 2006. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Olesen, Alexa (2 Jul 2006). "China's first train to Tibet conquers high-altitude hurdles". The Associated Press. Retrieved 31 Jul 2009.
- Baodong, Li; Shuangqi, Fu (2006-07-07). "Silk Road rejoins at Nathu La Pass after 44 years". Xinhua News Agency. Archived from the original on 2009-08-11. Retrieved 5 Aug 2009.
- "Quake Rocks China, 19 Dead". CBS News. 22 Jul 2006.
- "China typhoon sparks mass exodus". BBC News. 10 Aug 2006.
- "Latest Stories From News.Com.Au".