2007 Aysén Fjord earthquakes
|Date *||April 21, 2007|
|Magnitude||6.2 Mw |
|Depth||25 km (16 mi) |
|Max. intensity||VII (Very strong)|
|Tsunami||6 m (20 ft) |
|Casualties||10 dead |
The 2007 Aysén Fjord earthquakes occurred in Aisén Fjord, Chile from January 22 – April 22. The biggest occurred at 1:53 p.m. (local time) on April 21 and reached a felt intensity of VII (Very strong) on the Mercalli intensity scale. On the moment magnitude scale, the earthquake reached a gradation of 6.2. Ten people disappeared, according to ONEMI (Chile's National emergency office), but three bodies were found on April 22 by the Chilean Navy.
Starting January 22, Aysén Fjord suffered a series of minor earthquakes. The greatest before April 21 reached VI (Strong) on the Mercalli intensity scale and occurred at 3:44 p.m. on April 14. Local fishermen reported seeing steam rising from the fjord. The earthquake expanded to several zones of the country. At 6:22 a.m. (local time) on April 22, an intense earthquake was felt in Santiago, reaching II (Weak) on the Mercalli intensity scale.
On the mountains around the fjord, the earthquake caused landslides that in turn created waves as high as six meters, which severely damaged some salmon aquaculture installations. The potable water systems of the cities of Puerto Chacabuco and Puerto Aisén were broken, forcing firefighters and the army to supply water. The electricity network of Puerto Chacabuco was also cut off.
Despite protests against the government organized by Aysen's mayor, Chile's president, Michelle Bachelet, visited the affected zone. She was met with black flags, and, during the protest, Aysen's mayor Óscar Catalán was arrested. Catalán had been heavily critical that the region had not received the necessary help to prevent damage and casualties, as the swarm had been active since January.
- ISC (2016), ISC-GEM Global Instrumental Earthquake Catalogue (1900–2012), Version 3.0, International Seismological Centre
- USGS (September 4, 2009), PAGER-CAT Earthquake Catalog, Version 2008_06.1, United States Geological Survey
- "Informe No.173 - 21/04/2007 Sismo XI Región (Informe Preliminar - Actualiza Información)". ONEMI. Archived from the original on 23 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- Se desconoce paradero de diez personas tras fuerte sismo en Aisén – El Mercurio
- Landslides in Chile 4: The Punta Cola rock avalanche in Aysén Fjord – American Geophysical Union
- 21 April 2007, Mw 6.2, Aisen, Chile – Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
- The International Seismological Centre has a bibliography and/or authoritative data for this event.