2007 MTV Video Music Awards
|2007 MTV Video Music Awards|
|Date||Sunday, September 9, 2007|
|Location||The Palms, Las Vegas, Nevada|
The 2007 MTV Video Music Awards, honoring the best music videos from the previous year, took place on September 9, in Las Vegas at The Palms. The 2007 VMAs were the smallest VMAs ever held in MTV history, eliminating 13 awards, renaming many of the remaining awards, and having only four performances on the main stage. The 2008 awards restored most of the categories. The awards received attention for an infamous opening performance by Britney Spears.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Awards
- 3 MTV2 On The Rise Contest
- 4 Performances
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Britney Spears' performance
- 7 Kid Rock/Tommy Lee altercation
- 8 Non-Music Entertainment
- 9 Lineup changes
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The week before the ceremony, the network aired VMA Week on TRL, along with other programming around the VMAs, including performances from top artists.
The VMAs aired live that evening at 9:00 p.m. ET on MTV. MTV originally announced that the show would never be re-aired in its entirety, but program listings eventually showed that that was not the case. Perhaps as a concession that TV viewing audiences for the VMAs were decreasing year over year, the 2007 VMAs were produced on a smaller budget and in front of a smaller crowd. Unlike in past years where the show was shown on MTV in 16:9 HDTV letterbox format, this year the ceremony was aired in 4:3 on the main channel. However, it was still produced in high definition, and was scheduled to air in full on MHD (now known as Palladia), Viacom's high definition channel, on September 22 at 9pm EDT. At the last minute however, a 'best of' 90 minute clip show aired instead.
The setting at the Palms was criticized for the small stage. Only four performances took place on the main stage, which consisted of a small layered stage that led off to a number of "island" stages that served as guests' tables. The tables then led to a smaller stage in the back, so that the performances could go a full 360.
Winners are in bold text
Video of the Year
- Beyoncé — "Irreplaceable"
- Justice — "D.A.N.C.E."
- Justin Timberlake — "What Goes Around... Comes Around"
- Kanye West — "Stronger"
- Amy Winehouse — "Rehab"
Male Artist of the Year
Female Artist of the Year
Best New Artist
Quadruple Threat of the Year
Most Earthshattering Collaboration
- Akon (featuring Eminem) — "Smack That"
- Gwen Stefani (featuring Akon) — "The Sweet Escape"
- Justin Timberlake (featuring Timbaland) — "SexyBack"
- U2 and Green Day — "The Saints Are Coming"
Monster Single of the Year
- Daughtry — "Home"
- Fall Out Boy — "Thnks fr th Mmrs"
- Avril Lavigne — "Girlfriend"
- Lil' Mama — "Lip Gloss (No Music)"
- Mims — "This Is Why I'm Hot"
- Plain White T's — "Hey There Delilah"
- Shop Boyz — "Party Like a Rockstar"
- T-Pain (featuring Yung Joc) — "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')"
- Timbaland (featuring Keri Hilson, D.O.E. and Sebastian) — "The Way I Are"
- Christina Aguilera — "Candyman" (Directors: Matthew Rolston and Christina Aguilera)
- Beyoncé and Shakira — "Beautiful Liar" (Director: Jake Nava)
- Linkin Park — "What I've Done" (Director: Joseph Hahn)
- Rihanna (featuring Jay-Z) — "Umbrella" (Director: Chris Applebaum)
- Kanye West — "Stronger" (Director: Hype Williams)
Best Choreography in a Video
- Beyoncé and Shakira — "Beautiful Liar" (Choreographer: Frank Gatson)
- Chris Brown — "Wall to Wall" (Choreographers: Rich & Tone and Flii Stylz)
- Ciara — "Like a Boy" (Choreographer: Jamaica Craft)
- Eve (featuring Swizz Beatz) — "Tambourine" (Choreographer: Tanisha Scott and Jamaica Craft)
Best Editing in a Video
- Beyoncé and Shakira — "Beautiful Liar" (Editor: Jarrett Fijal)
- Linkin Park — "What I've Done" (Editor: Igor Kovalik)
- Justin Timberlake — "What Goes Around... Comes Around" (Editor: Holle Singer)
- Kanye West — "Stronger" (Editors: Peter Johnson and Corey Weisz)
MTV2 On The Rise Contest
Flowers for Dorian won the MTV2 On The Rise contest. The prize for winning was getting flown to New York City to film 5 live videos in front of a green screen. The 5 videos were on Comcast's On Demand and one of the videos premiered at the VMAs. Flowers for Dorian's video for the song Love Remains premiered at the VMAs.
Unlike previous editions of the MTV Video Music Awards, 2007 brought, besides the main show venue, different suites, each with a host band performing and inviting special guests to perform. There were few Main Show performances, which happened at the same place where the awards were being televised. Mark Ronson performed at the Main Show with special guests.
- Britney Spears — "Trouble" intro/"Gimme More"
- Chris Brown featuring Rihanna — "Wall to Wall" / "Umbrella" (Rihanna intermission)/ "Billie Jean" / "Kiss Kiss" medley
- Linkin Park — "Bleed It Out" (surprise performance at Rain Night club)- with intro by Timbaland
- Alicia Keys — "No One"/"Freedom" medley
- Closing Medley by Timbaland and guests: Nelly Furtado — "Do It" / D.O.E. and Sebastian — "The Way I Are" rap interlude / Timbaland featuring Keri Hilson — "The Way I Are" / Justin Timberlake — "LoveStoned" / Timbaland featuring Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake — "Give It to Me"
Small Mark Ronson Band Performances at the Main Show
- Mark Ronson featuring Akon — "Smack That"
- Mark Ronson featuring Adam Levine — "Wake Up Call"
- Mark Ronson featuring Wale — "W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E."
- Mark Ronson featuring Daniel Merriweather — "Stop Me"
Timbaland & Timberlake Fantasy Suite show
- T.I. (with beat-box by Justin Timberlake) — "Big Things Poppin' (Do It)"
- Justin Timberlake featuring Timbaland — "Chop Me Up"
- Petey Pablo — "Freak-a-Leek"
- 50 Cent featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland — "Ayo Technology"
- 50 Cent — "I Get Money"
- 50 Cent — "Straight To The Bank"/"In Da Club"
Fall Out Boy Fantasy Suite show
- Fall Out Boy — "Sugar, We're Goin Down"
- Rihanna featuring Fall Out Boy — "Shut Up and Drive"
- Fall Out Boy — "Thnks fr th Mmrs"
- Fall Out Boy — "Beat It"/"The Carpal Tunnel of Love" medley
- Fall Out Boy — Don't Matter
- Fall Out Boy — "Top Gun Anthem"
- Fall Out Boy featuring Lil Wayne and Brendon Urie — "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race"
- Gym Class Heroes featuring Ne-Yo and Patrick Stump — "Clothes Off!!"
- Gym Class Heroes — "The Queen And I"
- Panic! at the Disco — "Nine in the Afternoon"
- Cobra Starship featuring William Beckett and Travie McCoy — "Bring It (Snakes on a Plane)"
- Cobra Starship — "The Church of Hot Addiction"
Kanye West Fantasy Suite show
- Kanye West — Touch The Sky
- Kanye West — Champion
- Soulja Boy - Crank That
- Kanye West — Can't Tell Me Nothing
- Kanye West — I Wonder
- Kanye West — Stronger
- Kanye West featuring T-Pain — Good Life
- Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx — Gold Digger
Foo Fighters Fantasy Suite show
- Foo Fighters — "Shake Your Blood Part 1"
- Foo Fighters — "Everlong"
- Foo Fighters — "Best of You"
- Foo Fighters — "All My Life"
- Foo Fighters featuring Pat Smear — "The Pretender"
- Foo Fighters featuring Serj Tankian — "Holiday in Cambodia"
- Foo Fighters featuring Cee-Lo — "Darling Nikki"
- Queens of the Stone Age featuring Cee-Lo and Dave Grohl — "Make It wit Chu"
- Mastodon featuring Josh Homme — "Colony of Birchmen"
- Foo Fighters featuring Lemmy — "I'll Be Your Sister"
- Foo Fighters featuring Lemmy — "Shake Your Blood Part 2"
- Eagles of Death Metal featuring Dave Grohl — "Speaking in Tongues"
- Eagles of Death Metal featuring Dave Grohl — "I Want You So Hard"
- Sarah Silverman
- Kevin Connolly
- Kid Rock
- Seth Rogen
- Adrian Grenier
- Bill Hader
- Rosario Dawson
- Megan Fox
- Jamie Foxx
- Jennifer Garner
- Paris Hilton
- Lauren Conrad
- Audrina Patridge
- Whitney Port
- Shia LaBeouf
- Nicole Scherzinger
- Jennifer Hudson
- Robin Thicke
- Mary J. Blige
- Dr. Dre
- Yung Joc
- Jermaine Paul
- Caitlin Upton
- Ryan Sheckler
- Ryan Leslie
- Kanye West
Britney Spears' performance
Britney Spears opened the 2007 VMAs with a performance of her new single, "Gimme More". The performance had been highly hyped and anticipated by MTV, various other media outlets, by music critics and many millions of fans as Spears' comeback performance, as this was Spears' first broadcast performance since The Onyx Hotel Tour in 2004 in support of her fourth album In the Zone. She performed in small venues throughout 2007 for The M+M's Tour. After the growing media frenzy, obsession, scrutiny, attention and speculation over her wild antics in the past four years, the performance was widely anticipated.
Spears mimed to her song while wearing a revealing sequined outfit. Her male dancers were dressed in black suits with white dress shirts and the female dancers all wore black latex leggings. The performance was met with derision and disappointment by fans and critics alike. A media critic noted that Spears seemed confused and disoriented on stage and appeared to have forgotten the lyrics and dance moves to her performance. Despite the performance, the song became one of the biggest hits of Spears' career along with "...Baby One More Time" (1999), "Oops!...I Did It Again" (2000) and "Toxic" (2004). The performance increased the media frenzy surrounding Spears. In the months following the performance, Spears would go through a very public meltdown.
Although previously reported, illusionist Criss Angel did not play any part in the performance. Britney Spears fan Chris Crocker released a video entitled "Leave Britney Alone!" on YouTube shortly after the event criticizing those who disregarded her performance and asking viewers to treat Spears with some respect. The video would become a hit on the internet.
Kid Rock/Tommy Lee altercation
|Wikinews has related news: Altercation erupts between rock musicians at MTV Music Video Awards|
Kid Rock and Tommy Lee were involved in an altercation at the Video Music Awards during the come-back performance of Alicia Keys. A source reported that Tommy Lee was sitting with magician Criss Angel when the two went to visit Diddy, who was sitting close to Kid Rock. Shortly after the two went over to see Diddy, "all hell broke loose," that source told Access Hollywood. It is reported that Kid Rock sucker punched Tommy Lee in his back. The two, both ex-husbands of Pamela Anderson were broken up, and both were escorted from the resort. Angel was removed a short time later. The cause of the fight is unknown.
An eyewitness reported to TMZ that "Tommy got it pretty bad." The incident was confirmed by Palms Hotel and Casino public relations representative Larry Fink. MTV Host Sway Calloway said "Tommy Lee was sitting by P-Diddy and Kid Rock just got off stage and from what I saw he walked up to Lee and just decked him."
- Presenter Jamie Foxx said "Let’s stop all of this white-on-white crime."
- Diddy made a remark that "It's not just the hip-hop artists that sometimes have a problem."
Caitlin Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007 - famous for her incoherent response to why she thought 1/5 of Americans can't locate the US on a world map, which received millions of views on the internet on websites such as YouTube and third-runner up from Miss Teen USA - did a parody of her response when she was presenting.
Shia LaBeouf revealed the name of the fourth Indiana Jones film: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was confirmed by the official site.
The French electronic group Justice were going to perform at the show with Mark Ronson during one of his VMA spots with an additional special guest. The group had to drop out due to their very, very late arrival in Las Vegas stemming from having to fly in from Europe.
Madonna was rumored to perform with Justin Timberlake according to various Canadian newspapers, but her publicist denied any involvement with the event.
- Los Premios MTV Latinoamérica 2007
- MTV Video Music Awards
- MTV Europe Music Awards
- MTV Video Music Brazil
- Rounding Up HD News: Marvel at Britney in High Def – TVWeek – News
- MTV Yanks Britney's Flop From MHD Schedule
- Chris Harris, "Britney Spears To Open 2007 MTV Video Music Awards: It's Official!". MTV News. Retrieved on September 7, 2007
- "Fight Breaks Out Between Tommy Lee & Kid Rock At VMAs". Access Hollywood. Archived from the original on 2007-10-11. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "Security: Cops on the Hunt for Kid Rock After VMA Fight - TMZ.com". Archived from the original on 11 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "Winehouse Scraps VMA Gig". MTV.co.uk. August 2007. Retrieved 11 September 2007.
- "Justice To Perform on VMAs - Kinda". MTV2. September 7, 2007. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 11 September 2007.
- "No Justice". MTV2. September 9, 2007. Archived from the original on 12 September 2007. Retrieved 11 September 2007.