2007 New Zealand local elections
This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
|New Zealand portal|
Triennial elections for all 73 cities and districts, twelve regional councils and all district health boards in New Zealand were held on 13 October 2007. Most councils were elected using the first-past-the-post voting method, but eight (of which Wellington City is the largest) were elected using single transferable vote.
New mayors were elected in Auckland City, North Shore City, Manukau City, Christchurch, Rodney District, Whangarei, Far North District, Nelson, Taupo, Stratford, South Taranaki District and Buller District.
|Far North District||9||3||3||Wayne Brown, (new)||[permanent dead link]|
|Whangarei District||13||-||4||Stan Semenoff (new)|||
|Kaipara District||10||-||1||Peter King, re-elected||[permanent dead link]|
|Rodney District||12||-||1||Penny Webster, re-elected|||
|North Shore City||15||66||2||N George Wood,
defeated by Andrew Williams
|Waitakere City||14||4||2||Bob Harvey, re-elected|||
|Auckland City||19||9||4||N Dick Hubbard,
defeated by John Banks
|Manukau City||17||8||3||N Sir Barry Curtis, did not run.
Len Brown won
|Papakura District||8||-||1 1||John Robertson|||
|Franklin District||12||2||1 1, 2||Mark Ball|||
|1 Franklin and Papakura districts jointly elected one regional councillor. 2 The south part of Franklin District is in the Waikato Region.|
|Waikato District||13||4||23||Peter Harris|||
|Hamilton City||13||-||4||Bob Simcock, new|||
|Waipa District||13||2||1||Alan Livingston|||
|Matamata-Piako District||11||3||1||Hugh Vercoe|||
|Otorohanga District||7||2||1 4||Dale Williams|||
|Waitomo District||6||-||1 4||Mark Ammon|||
|South Waikato District||10||-||1||Neil Sinclair|||
|Taupo District||12||-||2 5, 6||Clayton Stent|||
|Hauraki District||13||-||1||John Tregidga|||
|Thames-Coromandel District||8||5||1||Philippa Barriball|||
|3 Waikato jointly elects one regional councillor with Franklin District and elects another in its own right. 4 Otorohanga and Waitomo districts jointly elect one regional councillor. 5 Parts of Taupo District are in the Bay of Plenty, Manawatu-Wanganui and Hawke's Bay regions. 6 Elects two councillors jointly with Rotorua District.|
|Bay of Plenty Region7|
|Western Bay of Plenty District||12||5||2||Graeme Weld|||
|Tauranga District||10||-||4||Stuart Crosby|||
|Rotorua District||12||-||38||Kevin Winters|||
|Whakatane District||12||2||29||Colin Holmes|||
|Kawerau District||8||-||29||Malcolm Campbell (unopposed)|||
|Opotiki District||11||1||29||John Forbes|||
|7 Three regional councillors are elected in three separate Māori wards. 8 in conjunction with part of Taupo District. 9 Whakatane, Kawerau and Opotiki districts jointly elect two regional councillors.|
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council (Environment BOP)
- Gisborne District Council (unitary authority)
- Hawke's Bay Regional Council
- Taranaki Regional Council
- Manawatu-Wanganui Regional Council (Horizons Regional Council; horizons.mW)
- Wellington Regional Council (Greater Wellington Regional Council; Greater Wellington—The Regional Council)
- New Zealand local elections, 2004
- New Zealand local elections, 2010
- Christchurch mayoral election, 2007
- Wellington City mayoral election, 2007
- Bernard Orsman (13 October 2007). "Banks ousts Hubbard". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- Edward Gay (13 October 2007). "New faces aplenty in local government shake-ups". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- "Banks climbs back, Wood chopped down". Television New Zealand. 13 October 2007. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- "Main Local Body election results". Newstalk ZB. 13 October 2007. Archived from the original on 16 October 2007. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- "Changes in Far North, Whangarei, Taupo, Stratford and South Taranaki mayors". Radio New Zealand. 13 October 2007. Archived from the original on 7 February 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- "Majority of NZers didn't vote". Newstalk ZB. 13 October 2007. Retrieved 14 October 2007.[dead link]
- Lauren Owens (11 October 2007). "Laziness, apathy leads to dismal voter turnout". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 October 2007.
- Elections New Zealand
- Local Authority Election Statistics 2007 (Provided by the Department of Internal Affairs)
- New Zealand STV information site (Provided by the Department of Internal Affairs)
- STV and FPP in New Zealand local body elections (Provided by the Department of Internal Affairs)
- The results of the 2007 elections (on the New Zealand Herald website)